KamilS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Krakow, Poland
KitMaker: 225 posts
AeroScale: 77 posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2011 - 09:14 AM UTC
Hello
This time P-51D has landed on my workbench

It will be my first time with NMF aircraft, so I've chosen painless kit from Tamiya, to prevent any problems at the building step. And that is the reason I’m going to built it pretty much out from the box, except some decals. I’ve just received the new decal set from Kagero with PTO mustangs.
HERE you can fond a great review of this set.
Although I decided to made this kit without any aftermarkets, I’ve started with some ‘wireing’. I make some electric cables with thin tin wire, and air hose wia apiece of guitar string.
I’m usual starting paintwork with a coat of silver paint. This time too. Next I airbrushed interior with green (dedicated to the japan planes:> ) and highligted it with ZCY. Black surfaces are pained with a flat black, slightly highlighted with anthracite nato black.

At the same time I’ve started paintwork on the Staff Car vehicle. I’m going to mount both, vehicle and mustang on a small grassy base, with some figures. For a interior color I used duck egg, highligted with offwhite. Seats were painted with different tones of brown. Mats on the floor were made with some pieces of masking foil (I don’t care, if this kind of mats was used in a middle ’40; I made them to hide some ejector pin marks).

wolfpack6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 179 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2011 - 09:45 AM UTC
Looking good so far Kamil, keep us posted.
We like pics too
KamilS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Krakow, Poland
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 12:20 AM UTC
thank you

A plywood floor I paint with a vallejo's burnt umber and beige, mixed when still wet, just on the plastic part surface. Other details in the pilot's cockpit were painted with vallejos, too.

KamilS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Krakow, Poland
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 05:44 AM UTC

a little update on the vehicle's interior

KamilS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Krakow, Poland
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 10:00 AM UTC
Some update on the mustang.
Because pilots cockpit will be 'filled' with the figure, I didn't pay a big attention to its details and weathering. Just the wash was made, details were slightly exposed with a drybrush, and paintchips were scratched on some surfaces. For the mud on the floor tamiya's weathering stick was used.

KamilS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Krakow, Poland
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 02:51 AM UTC
OK, I repainted the fuel tank with black (because I discovered that was not paintet in interior gren).. It was a kind of colorectal surgery :>

now I'm polishing the connection of fuselage halves
KamilS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Krakow, Poland
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2011 - 02:58 AM UTC
next I mount the wing on the fuselage. After that was really a time consuming step: polishing and sanding of whole surfaces. It is necessary when you are going to paint any surface with metalizers

GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2011 - 07:39 AM UTC

Great work on a great kit! If I can give any advice, don't use the kit's prop blades! A cheap ubiquitous alternative is the prop blades off the old 1969 Monogram P-51D: They are superbly accurate and thin, and pre-aligned since in one single piece, but will require a lot of adaption to spinners that are more accurate than the too-short Monogram spinner...

Resin After-Market blades could be easier, but are in separate blades which can be hard to match in alignment, and especially pitch given the cyano glue's hold-no hold behaviour...

Love those markings: Can't wait to see the pin-up in place...

Gaston
KamilS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Krakow, Poland
Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2011 - 12:45 AM UTC
Gaston, thanks for the notice, but I don't want to add any aftermarkets to this kit. Just want to built it and try to paint my very first NMF aircraft.
KamilS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Krakow, Poland
Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2011 - 08:09 AM UTC
Little update at the vehicle. I mount wheels and finished dashboard.
I've also started works on the figures. Besides figures from the kit I'm going to use one from the Preiser's set. As you can see, there will be some scratch o it necessary (note that left side of the figure is untouched, right side is after some corrections)

KamilS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Krakow, Poland
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2011 - 08:40 AM UTC
Because I had to finish some 'armor project'

there were a big brake with this building. But let's back..
I've prepared to paint the vehicle. Windows were masked with Tamiya's tape.

Moreover I made the ceiling with a black masking foil- to cover some 'unwanted' details

..and ready to paint:

The main theme of this thread is Mustang. I've started its painting with a coat of Gunze's silver. This paint shows better if the surface is prepared well than any surfacer.
To get more fine surface I covered whole aircraft with clear cote

Next I painted NMF surfaces with Gunze's plate silver supermatelic

Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 346 posts
AeroScale: 307 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 01:25 AM UTC
Superb work so far. I look forward to seeing more of it
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 624 posts
AeroScale: 609 posts
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2011 - 12:54 AM UTC
Kamil, very nice work, indeed!! I like the staff car, very much. Will follow the build, just keep posting!
KamilS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Krakow, Poland
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 - 03:26 AM UTC
As I've said it is my very first try with NMF aircraft, so I experimented a little. Mixing metalizers or paints to get some different tones of panels and surfaces. There were a lot of retouches and changes of colors, but finally it is ready to decals applying

KamilS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Krakow, Poland
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 - 08:05 AM UTC
A minor update on 'additions'.
Over the basecoat of Olive drab I painted some highlights using mix of base tone and neutral gray

there are all three figures ready to paint

KamilS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Krakow, Poland
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 04:30 AM UTC
Decals are applied. I must say, I'm impressed with decals from Kagero. On the national markings and nickname decals are no transparent film- there is only printed area to apply on the model's surface. Decals works well with fluids from Microscale.

last I covered whole model with a thin coat of glossy clear- not to cover decals but to protect the metalizers against the wash
KamilS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Krakow, Poland
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 01:24 AM UTC
wash: a thick mixture of Van Dyke brown oil paint and white spirit. Applied over whole model, then removed with a paper towel and cotton buds

KamilS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Krakow, Poland
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 06:04 AM UTC
All details are already mounted

there are some retouches necessary
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
AeroScale: 476 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 06:52 AM UTC
Bravo Kamil, Bravo! And also Bravo on the SPG, I saw this one (the "Dana" is it?) "in action", and also saw the huge "Pion"in action. Fired its huge gun les than 50 meters away from me. What a sight!
KamilS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Krakow, Poland
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 07:53 AM UTC
ok, it's time to back to the overdue projects.. the brake was caused by some vehicles, for example:

With a MIG's dark wash, AK' wash for green vehicles and Oil from lifecolor's Tensocrome palette i've made some oily stains and patches.
After that i made some mud on the wing and suspension. I used tamiya's weathering sticks, applied wit an old brush.
Next were smoke trails. I've started them with a lifecolor's tensocrome white oxide airbrushed behind exhausts and gun barrels. Next I put some dark pigments over it.
I've also finished the vehicle. I made some dirt with pigments and tamiya's sticks.

..so, there are only figures and the base left
KamilS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Krakow, Poland
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 - 10:52 AM UTC
little update. figures are already painted, so i can start work on the base

GhostHawk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cordoba, Argentina
KitMaker: 268 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 - 01:45 PM UTC
Hi,

Pritty Nice Built...!

Congrats...!!!

Bye
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 09:50 AM UTC
Hi Kamil

Ditto that! I must admit I'm knocked out by how good the GS Super Metallic looks! I've never been totally convinced by acrylic metallics, but I reckon I'll have to try this!

All the best

Rowan
Roxter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rigas, Latvia
KitMaker: 268 posts
AeroScale: 245 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 03:03 AM UTC
Looking really good! Although I couldn't have noticed that weird leaking all over the fuselage. Do you have particular pics of the subject?
KamilS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Krakow, Poland
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2011 - 06:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Do you have particular pics of the subject?

no, i don't. and you have right, they are weird a little.. And i'm not satisfied with achieved effect..

the base: with different acrylic pastes from vallejo i prepared its surface. Then I colored it with tamiyas acrylics and some pigments. I also add some static grass on some small spots. Finally all elements of the vignette were mounted on base using ca adhesive

_GOTOTOP