_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Preview of Big Beautiful Doll masks for P-51
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2011 - 02:22 AM UTC
I ordered my Tamiya 1/32 scale P-51 today and I will be finishing it in the BBD scheme. I have had several requests for this scheme and a couple of potential customers asking how the Script will be masked. Generally script that has a different colour surround is simple as the 2 colours are just 2 separate elements. "Big Beautiful Doll" however is, at first glance, much more complicated due to the fact that the red shadow shading is not just one entity. The art of producing masks is to design them for easy use and to make BBD easy to use I need to make just 2 elements; the black script and the red shadow shading. As these are separate masks lining them up will be the crucial part, so that has to be easy also. Below are graphics that illustrate the process but please note that the instructions will include all steps in this graphic form as well as written instructions

Using the transfer tape (provided) transfer the first (black script) to the model. When in position remove the transfer tape and "weed" the lettering, leaving the "centres" behind, then paint the exposed area black.

When the paint is dry carefully remove the mask but leave the outer positioning box in situe. Weed the elements out of the red shadow mask

and then carefully position it inside the positioning box (this is the crucial part); start in one corner and ensure that there is a smooth transition between the edges of the mask and the edges of the positioning box (it is easy to feel if the transition is smooth or not as a slight ridge is formed if it is not. If there is no ridge at any point then the mask is correctly positioned. When happy spray red.

When the red paint is dry carefully remove all masking.

I am currently working on getting the checkers for the nose done but I can't finalise them until I have the kit. From there it will be relatively easy to size them to the dragon kit, if they need to be. Checks are very easy to use as are the Star and bar insignia and the caodes and the serials
 _GOTOTOP