_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
1/32 F-16 Wheel bays ASK ?
Boroda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moscow, Russia
KitMaker: 44 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 07:49 PM UTC
Hello to ALL!!!
Perhaps my question will seem strange?.. but

As is known, 1/32 Hasegawa F-16 kit has poor enough detailing of wheel bays...
In the market there are some sets 1/32 F-16 WHEEL BAYS for models of other manufacturers, not Hasegawa.

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AIRE2056
http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AIRE2067
http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AIRE2129 (for Sufa)
http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/CMK5008

(perhaps I have missed something?)

My question: SOMEONE TRIED to USE these sets for 1/32 F-16 HASEGAWA???
Your opinion? Advice?

I shall be sincerely grateful for your help.
Yours,
Sergey
ViperEnforcer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 204 posts
AeroScale: 202 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 08:10 PM UTC
Wont work.

Those wheel well sets are designed for the Academy and Tamiya kits. The reason why they wont fit is because Hasegawa's F-16 (All 3 scales BTW) MLG wheel well lengths are about 10 scale inches too short. Tamiya and Academy did capture this feature correctly, therefore the Aires wheel wells would be too long.

Boroda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moscow, Russia
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 09:18 PM UTC
Sincerely I thank you, colleague, for exhaustive information.
Northwestern
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 349 posts
AeroScale: 30 posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2011 - 05:39 PM UTC
I will offer one opinion for these sets

If you are going for 100% accuracy, you cannot use them as they are patterned after the Block 25 wheel wells

I have the aftermarket set for the Kinetic F-16I and it has notable items that are exclusive to Block 25 and lower models
Boroda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moscow, Russia
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2011 - 06:55 PM UTC
I thank you for efficient advice, colleague.
From its part I shall notice, that Hasegawa kit allows to build F-16 till Block 30 inclusive.
Is not present?

Hence, we have "plug" Block 25-30, that is comprehensible?!

Excuse, WHAT aftermarket set for the Kinetic F-16I you mean?
We speak about scale 1/32 and only...

Northwestern
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 349 posts
AeroScale: 30 posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2011 - 07:05 PM UTC
They use the same setup for the 1/32 and the 1/48

I have seen the wheel well set for the Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ and it is an exact copy of the 1/48 size set
Boroda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moscow, Russia
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2011 - 09:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have seen the wheel well set for the Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ and it is an exact copy of the 1/48 size set

Yes, here you are right absolutely. I can not disagree with you...

In any case, I have both kits F-16 (Tamiya F-16CJ and Hasegawa F-16A PLUS/C)...
I have looked both half of fuselage... They are very similar in the sizes and installation sites MLG wheel bays...

I know, that even if you try to establish AIRES Wheel Bay (for Tamiya) IN TO Tamiya kit,... you will have some problems with its length.
ViperEnforcer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 08:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I will offer one opinion for these sets

If you are going for 100% accuracy, you cannot use them as they are patterned after the Block 25 wheel wells

I have the aftermarket set for the Kinetic F-16I and it has notable items that are exclusive to Block 25 and lower models

True, but the differences between the standard Blocks 25-50 wheel wells are trivial, aside from the Anti-Ice probe box of Blocks 25-32 (which the Aires sets represent) and the secondary doors of the HWG jets. Other details like pin box configuration and some wire harness arrangements are for the most part, negligible

The Sufa and Block 60 wheel wells do have a couple of significant changes, like the Dual ECS hook ups and new ducting. Aires seems to have missed those details as well.

One other detail(s) that's not included for the Heavy Weight Gear wheel wells, are the Secondary doors of the main gear well. No kit or AM manufacture has attempted these.

For all those who are thinking about using the Aires wheel wells for the Tamiya kits; good luck fitting the NLG wheel well insert. Not only is it too short, but to get it to fit the intake without grinding through, is next to impossible.

Mike V
ViperEnforcer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 08:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Yes, here you are right absolutely. I can not disagree with you...

In any case, I have both kits F-16 (Tamiya F-16CJ and Hasegawa F-16A PLUS/C)...
I have looked both half of fuselage... They are very similar in the sizes and installation sites MLG wheel bays...

I know, that even if you try to establish AIRES Wheel Bay (for Tamiya) IN TO Tamiya kit,... you will have some problems with its length.

The Tamiya MLG wheel bays are significantly longer than the Hasegawa MLG wheel bays and are not similar. Here are a few pics to prove it. When the Meteor Productions 32nd F-16XL kit came out, we did a review on it that identified all the gross inaccuracies and technical errors. One of the major oversights of the kit was that they used their previous "made for Hasegawa" bulged MLG gear doors for a "Tamiya F-16 kit" conversion.

The MP gear doors were/are the same length as the Hasegawa kit doors and here's what they look like side by side. I also taped the right Tamiya NLG door to the keep panel and the left Hasegawa/MP door to the other side to show how short the doors compared when installed closed.

Just be forewarned…

Boroda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moscow, Russia
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 07:55 PM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

For all those who are thinking about using the Aires wheel wells for the Tamiya kits; good luck fitting the NLG wheel well insert. Not only is it too short, but to get it to fit the intake without grinding through, is next to impossible.
Mike V

Mike,
Sincerely I thank for so detailed and proved answer of the expert.
It absolutely agree with you in occasion of use Aires wheel bay set in model Tamiya F-16CJ (the best model F-16 !!! Highly detailed for OOB)

But, all the same, perhaps someone tried to put Aires wheel bay inside Hasegawa 1/32 (fro bilding F-16 early Block's 25-30) ?
Yours,
Sergey
Boroda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moscow, Russia
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 08:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The MP gear doors were/are the same length as the Hasegawa kit doors and here's what they look like side by side. I also taped the right Tamiya NLG door to the keep panel and the left Hasegawa/MP door to the other side to show how short the doors compared when installed closed.

Mike, in other words, - it's "the silly invention " to use Aires wheel bay sets for Hasegawa F-16 1/32 kit ?!

And it seemed to me, that the sizes of apertures in kits Tamiya and Hasegawa are very similar.

OK, it is better to all to be engaged to experts, as whom I don't consider myself. I don't dare to argue!

With sincere respect and gratitude for answers.
Sergey
ViperEnforcer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 03:04 AM UTC
I was just trying to show the major difference in lengths between the Hasegawa and Tamiya kits; thus the Aires wheel wells, that if you or anyone is considering installing the 32nd Aires F-16 Wheel wells "made for Tamiya or Academy kits" into the Hasegawa F-16, understand the possible problems you will encounter with the legth issues; let alone the contour differences.

In no way am I telling you not to attempt this project, as I would wish you luck in doing so. Just be aware what you are in for. I think it can be done, but it will take some work and a good approach.

Good luck,
Mike V
Boroda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moscow, Russia
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 05:24 AM UTC
Mike,
I have understood you. As speak at us in Russia: "Nothing venture" (it is a little not exact translation on English, but...)
Probably I all the same shall risk!
I thank you once again for exact explanatories.
Yours faithfully,
Sergey
 _GOTOTOP