_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Can I post Flying models here
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 602 posts
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2011 - 02:14 AM UTC
Greetings all.

I have been absent for a while... My building slowed to a halt when I moved house nearly two years ago and had all my tools and models packed away for the move.

But since then, I have joined a local radio flying club and have been learning to fly... and to build flying models.

It has been a whole new learning curve.

I have nearly finished a Sport Scale (or stand off scale) Sopwith Pup kit in 1/6 scale by Balsa USA.

Please excuse the really BAD photo.

and for those of you who follow Flying Scale Models magazine, I am also building the Prototype of Peter Rakes Sopwith Tabloid (42" for electric power).

Would I be welcome to post progress and details of these and future builds (1/8 and 1/6 Scale BE2c for instance) in this Forum? I know there are heaps of RC forums out there in interweb land, but none specificaly dealing with Early Aviation.

Cheers,

Hugh

lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2011 - 02:52 AM UTC
Hugh,
I personally would vote a strong "yes"; not sure how others may feel. After seeing the article on the Dawn Patrol Flyers in the latest Windsock International I was most impressed. We follow and enjoy Early Aviation projects in virtually all mediums from scratch metal to vac, injected, and elaborate dioramas and significantly learn from all.Were I not an "old guy" I would seriously consider venturing into your niche of our hobby.
From my albeit back row seat in this forum your query gets my vote!
Cheers,
Lance
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2011 - 05:20 AM UTC
As host and moderator I see RC as a fine fit for the Early aviation forum. Just keep in mind the 1934 cut off. If it grows who knows? Maybe a separate or sub-forum?
hogkeeper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 37 posts
AeroScale: 36 posts
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2011 - 07:39 AM UTC
Hugh,
Check out rcscalebuilder.com. I fly scale in addition to building plastic and have found it to be a very helpful and welcoming site. The guys there are real quick to share advice and ideas, plus there to give you that extra nudge of encouragment when you need it, just like the guys and gals here on Aeroscale!Since you are interested in early aviation there are forums dedicated to Balsa USA, Proctor, and Glenn Torrence kits, plus forums for other kits, other designers and electric scale.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2011 - 08:56 AM UTC
Hi Hugh

We have an R/C category in the General Aviation forum. It's something of a hang-over from the days when we were only a section of the original Armorama, and traditionally hasn't attracted a great deal of interest. That said, I'd be happy to give flying models their own dedicated forum if there's sufficient demand.

All the best

Rowan
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 8,227 posts
AeroScale: 3,915 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 12:08 AM UTC
Nice airplane ! Glad to see that your back at it.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
AeroScale: 289 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2011 - 03:56 PM UTC
Nice Sopwith, B-usa makes some nice kits...that 1/4 D8 calls to me but that'd be "alot" of LiPoly packs as an electric! - I'll stick with the GWS stuff for now.
 _GOTOTOP