_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Planes, types of, measurements:
SignGuy1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 14 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2011 - 03:05 AM UTC
Dear all,

I'm planning a diorama with mostly 1/35 AFVs, but the center piece will be a downed plane, in WW2 France. At the moment for some initial drawings and planning, would anyone here be kind enough to post length and width measurements of your assembled planes, that would have appeared over France? If you would mention the specifics of the model or kit no. of such a plane, so I know what to look for later, that too is appreciated.

In this case, I was told that I could perhaps use a 1/32 scale plane, as it would likely fit in the scheme of things; while there are some 1/35 scale planes available, they tend to be pricey and since I will "artfully destruct" said plane to some degree I'd hate to spend a lot of money on the plane to then wreck it for the diorama... but, that's the plan for now.

I have been told that possibly I could use a P-47, Spitfire, ME-109, Mustang, (and maybe a Storch but that could be iffy as to the reality of things). However, the overall idea is to have both US and Germans converging on the downed plane about the same time; the implied story is that perhaps one or both sides think that a person or papers or cargo "of interest" may be on the plane. That, roughly, is the setup for the moment. It will need refining, and some nuance to be certain, to somehow depict that within confines of a static display but I'll try it.

And if anyone here is a "master of destruction," for anything similar to what I plan, I'd love to read any articles or look at photos of such projects that you may have done. Or, perhaps you may suggest certain book titles, for me to study. I will attempt to make things fairly realistic, or at least, try to the best of my ability.

When possible, I'll talk with a pilot/relative to see if he may help in determining possible/realistic scenarios, concerning damage probabilities. I have looked at photos of WW2 downed planes, that were amazingly intact all considered and have read of pilots shot down numerous times during the war. The lucky ones lived to tell about it, and perhaps became legends, along the way).

My thanks for advice, information, on the topic.
SignGuy1 (Pat)
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2011 - 03:46 AM UTC
One thing to remember is that even the smallest aircraft is large compared to an AFV. Bronco makes a Piper L-4 (think Piper Cub) in /135 which would fit right in to your diorama. Even it is roughly twice the size of say a Sherman tank. Perhaps it was carrying a Senior Officer with a briefcase full of battle plans?

The L-4 was made of steel tube and fabric, so it wouldn't show damage the way an all-metal aircraft does. They end up looking a bit like this or this or even sometimes like this. That last scene suggests something you could work with. Put the tree on top of a small ridge and your opposing vehicles approaching out of sight of each other...
SignGuy1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 14 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2011 - 05:15 AM UTC
Jessica;

Thanks for your quick and kind reply, and information (and part of your note and a pic of a plane in the tree - yow, yet another idea and an unusual one at that, - for the diorama). Thanks, again.

As I just started back in with models a few months ago, after a "decades away from it" time frame, among other things trying to decipher the zillion types of scales/models, left me perplexed. I then thought to check in here (compared to usual haunt of the Armorama site), for advice about the plane aspect of things. I'll have to roam the site now, look at the many images, for futher ideas.

My thanks, again,
SignGuy1 (Pat)
 _GOTOTOP