_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Sopwith Tabloid
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 602 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 01:44 AM UTC
So anyway, I may have mentioned in my "Can I Post FLying Models Here?" Thread, that I am building the prototype of Peter Rakes design for a Sopwith Tabloid.

Those of you who follow the Flying Scale Models publication (which I have always liked even before I got the RC bug for it's reference articles) will know that Peter designs fairly straight forward plans for electric powered models ranging from the diminutive 24 or so inch wing span up to 1/6 scale (I can post links to some pretty impressive builds of these designs if anybody is interested).

Well, only being new to the RC lark, I was probably a bit ambitious in volunteering my services to build a prototype of a new design, but in for a penny as they say (I will add here that my interest in RC modelling is probably 95% skewed towards building... I haven't yet - after two years nearly on the sticks - achieved a solo rating).

To the point. The Tabloid is nearly finished now, having had a couple of glitches (Another model fell from a shelf above and smashed the turtle deck, prompting me to completely strip and re-cover the model etc. etc.) and I am researching markings.

The particular variant that Peter has drawn up has Ailerons and stagger between the main planes and the "Racing" V type undercarraige. When I queried this, I was shown this three view,

But, I had a re-read last night of the apropriate chapter in the Crowood Press "Sopwith Aircraft" by Mike Davies and it seems that the latest serial allocated to a Tabloid was 1215 (and even that is questionable).
Further digging suggests that the serial 1257 was in fact allocated to a Bristol Scout (Type C).

Any light that my gentle readers may be able to shed on this conundrum would be greatly apreciated.

Here are some shots that have been taken during the build.

And stripped back again for recovering.

Please note that this model is purely sport scale, but I'd like as much as possible to get the markings at the very least right.

Cheers,

Hugh

Gosh it's nice to be back.
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 07:38 AM UTC
Hi Hugh,

I'll have a look in the morning when I get home from work in my reference books and see what I can find.
I do have a Special Hobby 1/48 kit of the Tabloid so will look at that also.
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 602 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 09:35 AM UTC
Hello Luciano,

Thanks. I have the Special Hobby kit as well. It depicts a WIng warped "SS1" version. Serial Number 1214 (I think).

I also have a series of articles from "Flight" in 1957 concerning the Tabloid, Snieder and Baby. It confirms what I already suspect, which is that the three view supplied is partly fictional.

Cheers,

Hugh
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 07:32 AM UTC
Hi Hugh,

I checked one of my books (British Naval Aircraft Since 1912) this morning and it doesn't give the serials for the Tabloid, the one picture in the book does not seem to have any visable serials on the aircraft. I have another book I'll check, again tomorrow morning when I get home from work.
The first book does list the serials ranges for the Schneider though.

Oh nice work on your aircraft, this will look nice when airborne.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2011 - 03:46 AM UTC
Nice to see you post your builds again Hugh , will be following this one !

How is the flying coming along ?
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 8,227 posts
AeroScale: 3,915 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 - 01:05 AM UTC
Me too! Great stuff.
 _GOTOTOP