_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
B-58 painting advice
Kuno-Von-Dodenburg
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,453 posts
AeroScale: 25 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 09:55 PM UTC
I'm a dyed-in-the-wool armour and figures man, but just lately have been feeling the pull of tackling an aircraft for a bit of variety and to get myself out of my comfort zone.

I have half a dozen planes in the stash, but this will be my first aircraft build in over 30 years - the Italeri 1/72 B-58 Hustler nuclear bomber, and I'm looking for guidance as to the best paint(s) to use for that dreaded "all metal" finish.

I'm not too fussed about nitty-gritty accuracy (like the leading edge of the wings being a couple of scale degrees out, or the fuselage being 5mm too long/short or anything like that) I just want to get the thing built and if when I'm done it looks like a B-58, I'll be a happy camper. But if there are any AM sets to sex up an already very sexy plane a bit more, then I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance.

- Steve
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 02:07 PM UTC
The Italeri B-58 really needs nothing other than the contents of the box. Aires does a set of exhaust nozzles (interestingly they claim it's for a Hasegawa kit which I've never heard of. Perhaps it's a rebox?)

I can't recall off hand whether the nozzles really need replacing or not. I certainly had no complaints about the ones in my kits.

Here's a site that'll be worth spending time in and there are some very nice pictures here. Note the varying shades of metal and light grey, especially on the landing gear fairings.

Have fun buiding
Kuno-Von-Dodenburg
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 05:36 AM UTC
Thanks Jessie. Nice links!

- Steve
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 07:40 AM UTC
Wow nice find Jessie that'll certainly help when I get round to doing my 1/48 Revell Hustler

As for the paints I would recommend Alclad II range of paints. They're not cheap but they certainly do give a realistic finish. Some people seem daunted by using them but I have never had any issues when using them this article will help understand how to use them, Alclad Adventures
Kuno-Von-Dodenburg
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 01:03 AM UTC
Many thanks for that, Allen. I'd heard the name "Alclad" bandied about on forums before but having now checked out your link I have to say it looks like great stuff and just the job.

I'm heading down to Euromil in Folkestone in about 3 weeks so I'll keep an eye out for it there. Might get it at a better price at a show. Thanks again.

- Steve
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 07:51 AM UTC
Hi Steve.
I can highly recommend the Alclad II range of metallic finishes. Make sure you buy their thinners as well as they are essential for cleaning your airbrush. Also recommended are their primer/filler, they come in white, grey and black. If you apply the different shades of primer to your Hustler you will achieve some interesting shades of natural metal finish. The primer/filler don't need thinning, just pour straight into the airbrush cup. Do make sure you use in a well ventilated area and use a mask.
All the best.
tim
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 11:25 AM UTC
Hi Steve. Good choice of subject. The Hustler is one of my fav's. As to paints, As much as I love Alclad II, I gotta give a nod to Tamiya rattle cans. They spray well, cover well, and dry quickly. And, they hold up well to handling. Something I found Alclad doesn't do. Don't get me wrong, it's great stuff and I use the crap out of it, but for stuff that requires a lot of handling it has it's drawback. Looking forward to seeing what you can do with Italeri's effort. "Q"
Kuno-Von-Dodenburg
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2011 - 06:58 AM UTC
Yes Matt, the B-58 is a seriously sexy piece of kit isn't it?!

Appreciate the input from all you guys. Some good suggestions and alternatives there. Don't hold your breath as it may take a while, but I'll be sure to post up the finished results - provided I don't completely screw it up that is

But i'm looking forward to the challenge!

- Steve
 _GOTOTOP