_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
New airfix kits
RichPrag
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 26 posts
AeroScale: 24 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 10:19 PM UTC
What are the new airfix models like in terms of fit and detail and things? Hobbycraft sell a lot of what look like new kits, (new boxes, art work etc) and they have some 1:72 with the paints, typhoons, gazelle, F-5, that sort of thing. I was thinking of getting a couple for quick builds and wondered what they are like.

Also how can i tell if they are new tooled kits or just re boxing of old kits?

Thanks

Rich
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2011 - 07:08 AM UTC
Rich,

The new Airfix kits are very good detail wise, as for fit I can't tell you as I no longer build 1/72 but fit was never a real problem from what I remember.
The three you listed Typhoon (Hawker?), Gazelle and F-5 are all old kits where as the Typhoon (EF2000) was released a couple of years ago and from all acounts is a descent kit although from what I know it depicts a prototype aircraft. The Mig 15 and F-86 Sabre are both very good.

Like most manufactures they don't indicate if a kit is an old or new tool, you may sometimes get a sticker on a new tool release when it first comes on the market but that is it. If you check out the Airfix website you can see their new release schedule for the year.

Hope thats of some help
RichPrag
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 26 posts
AeroScale: 24 posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 - 08:13 AM UTC
yeah thanks for that, ive only recently got a couple of kits cos my girlfriend's gone to Qatar for a month with work. I bought:
BF-109G
Hurricane mk1
Hannover CL IIIa

Relish models site says whether a kit is new tool i found, the bf109 is new, and it shows against the hurricane. THe fit is really good and the details are nice for a little kit thats for beginners. The hurricane is fine, apart from there is a big gap in the wing root. Hannover looks ok, ive not done much on that.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 - 08:31 AM UTC
I built the new 1/72 Concorde and fit wasn't very good at all. More like a limited run kit.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 - 09:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I built the new 1/72 Concorde and fit wasn't very good at all. More like a limited run kit.

That one was tooled right before they went under and had to be rescued by Hornby. It's nowhere near the quality of the Valiant or Nimrod. I think they rushed it into production before it was ready.
Bink123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 414 posts
AeroScale: 364 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 08:15 AM UTC

From what I've read the Me 109 E seems very good. So is the Spitfire Mk. XII.

I intend on buying the Me 109 in the near future, and another of their Hurricane Mk. I's - old as it is. But what the heck, so am I.

I remember buying an Airfix kit back in the 1960's - it was dreadful - In think it was a BE2. In my ranking back then, from bottom to top it was Airfix, Aurora, Revell, and the best was Monogram.

British WW2 aircraft seem to be under represented in the modeling world. Ask yourself - How many FW190 kits are there? Me109's, Me 262's, Bf110's?

But Hurricanes in 1/48 scale? - Airfix, Pegasus, Ark and now Italeri. (all Mk.I's) Typhoons? - Revell and Tamiya. Tempests?- Eduard. (limited edition) Sea Fury? Hawker Fury I?

Maybe Airfix will do us all a favour and do a new tool Hurricane Mk. I and Mk II.

Glad to see you back in the game, Airfix.
 _GOTOTOP