_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Under the Eiffel tower: Did this happen?
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 11:31 AM UTC
I was directed to these drawings on a French site. I wonder if the Me-109G is a G-2? The all-yellow cowl seem odd...:

vKrenzler: "Berlin Express arrives in Paris" (El Berlin Express llega a Paris). El Berlin Express era el nombre del Mustang P51-C de Bill Overstreet, del 357th Fighter Sqdr., quien, en primavera de 1944, persiguió a un Bf 109G dañado sobre PAris, el cual, para eludirlo, pasó bajo la Torre Eiffel, siendo perseguido por Overstreet. El 109 se estrelló poco después y el piloto americano consiguió escapar pese al intenso fuego de la Flak. Bonita pintura, ¿verdad?

http://www.actionart.ca/wallpaper2/W%20Berlin%20Express%20A.jpg

Other nice drawings in the same page:

http://maquetas.mforos.com/464073/7780012-arte-y-aviacion/

Gaston

[Edit: I just spotted the G-5/6 gun bulges under the yellow color...]

eclarson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 171 posts
AeroScale: 166 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2011 - 08:14 AM UTC
Google is your friend. :-)

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/When_did_a_plane_fly_under_the_eiffel_tower_during_World_War_2

Cool painting.

Cheers,
Eric
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2011 - 12:18 PM UTC

Thanks!

Curiously enough, his own A to Z account makes no reference to going under the tower... He could have been more clear about it it seems to me... I think the opponent did for sure, but if I was him I would at least mention MY going under it!

Thanks again: An incredible story.

Isn't that all-yellow G-6 cowl odd though?

Gaston
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2011 - 10:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In this case, as in many others, Google is only your friend if your happy to see mis information repeated often enough until it becomes "fact".

The truth is a lot less cut and dried.

Have a read of this thread which will serve as a good start for research into this incident rather than a Wiki article.

Google is only as good as the information uploaded onto the web page.

OVERSTREET THREAD

Nige
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2011 - 08:54 PM UTC

Thank Nigel. It figures, and that makes three separate completely phony stories, that I know of, to apparently originate from genuine wartime US fighter pilots...

One is quite famous, and involves a P-51D ace waving to Hartmann showing his intact Me-109G after a long dogfight, with 200 kills marked on the tail... He got the color of the fuselage's heart (and Hartmann's real location at the time) off by as far as you could get...

The other story involves a mock dogfight between a Spitfire Mk XIV and a P-38G, at the British pilot's provocation... Many details sound phony here, but one of the clinchers for me was the assumption that the Mk XIV was better than the P-38 at downward loops: It does seem like it was the opposite by at least a significant margin, as the P-38 was only slightly worse than a Zero in combat, while pilots considered the maneuver "unsafe" below 3000' in the Mk XIV, and a huge difference with earlier marks...

Tall Tales from the Frontier...

Gaston

_GOTOTOP