_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Can a hawk graf zeppelin build go here?
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
AeroScale: 289 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2011 - 03:36 AM UTC
I noticed a lack of airship builds on site...or maybe I just missed them in the search...and was questioning the correct place to put my next build - the hawk graf zeppelin.
Should it go here or in general aircraft...it is an early flyer, but not an airplane per say.......
Thoughts....directions.......?
wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2011 - 04:21 AM UTC
While I am not a mod here I don't see why not. It's "Early Aviation" not "Early Airplanes" Personally I never seen a zeppelin model and look forward to it.

But if oyu wnat to get rteal technical.. the LZ 127 flew in '28 but the 130 not 'til '38. So it better not be the 130
vulkanizer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 144 posts
AeroScale: 109 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2011 - 04:25 AM UTC
Interesting question, the answer should give some Moderator. I would love to see that build log here
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2011 - 01:50 PM UTC
As it says under the title here. - "Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934".

LZ 127 Graf Zeppelin (Deutsches Luftschiff Zeppelin #127; Registration: D-LZ 127) was a large German passenger-carrying hydrogen-filled rigid airship which operated commercially from 1928 to 1937. It was named after the German pioneer of airships, Ferdinand von Zeppelin, who was a Graf or Count in the German nobility. During its operating life the airship made 590 flights, covering more than a million miles. It was designed to be operated by a crew of 36 officers and men.

I would say "yes".

Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2011 - 02:40 PM UTC
I'm looking forward to seeing it built. I ruined the AMT Hindenberg when I was a kid and never really got over that. I wish someone could repop that one (even though it properly belongs next door with the WW II stuff)
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2011 - 03:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm looking forward to seeing it built. I ruined the AMT Hindenberg when I was a kid and never really got over that. I wish someone could repop that one (even though it properly belongs next door with the WW II stuff)

Funny...that kit has actual swastikas on the decals and I just compared the props..nearly the same size with the gondolas being only half that{graf @ 1/245 and the hindy being 1/520}...interesting!
You could try ebay and get lucky...I gave $30ish a year ago for the one I got, if memory serves correctly{not trying to rub it in or anything}. Luckily the hindenburg kit has all the nice molded in underside vents and the like that the hawk kit lacks so I'll use that for a rough reference unless I can find a better source.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2011 - 03:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I would say "yes".

Well, that's good enough for me then!
I still need to come up with some appropriate 4 blade props{5}, a better reference for the underside vents/doors/details, the correct colors for the right side tail { german flag colors/red, white and black?}, a correct sized swastika{probably just mask and paint that}, alot of silver and come up with better gondola lighting than the 3 LEDs they give you { where's my fiber optics/sci-fi stuff?}.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2011 - 03:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

... So it better not be the 130

...Nope, it'll be the LZ-127...not the Hindy{130} or the graf II{131?}
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2011 - 05:10 PM UTC
Hindenberg was LZ-129 and Graf II was -130. -131 was neither finished nor named. Georing had all Zeppelins melted down in 1940 to make targets for the RAF.

For at least part if not all of the Graf's life the #5 engine (the one right aft underneath) had a 2 blade prop, due to the fact that it got so close to the ground on landing. They had to stop it when it was horizontal (or crank it around by hand) so the tips didn't dig in. See these pictures.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2011 - 03:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hindenberg was LZ-129 and Graf II was -130. -131 was neither finished nor named. Georing had all Zeppelins melted down in 1940 to make targets for the RAF.

For at least part if not all of the Graf's life the #5 engine (the one right aft underneath) had a 2 blade prop, due to the fact that it got so close to the ground on landing. They had to stop it when it was horizontal (or crank it around by hand) so the tips didn't dig in. See these pictures.

Good eye...more research needed on my part!
 _GOTOTOP