_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
NEWS
1/48: SAAB J-29 Tunnan
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2011 - 08:03 AM UTC

AZ Models have announced the release of the distinctive Swedish fighter SAAB J-29 Tunnan. The Tunnan has been listed on their website for some time now and it''s great news to see it finally released. AZ Models have also released images of the new 1/48 kit injected plastic kit with resin parts on their website. It will be released as two separate kits, one with Swedish markings and the other with Austrian markings.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2011 - 08:15 AM UTC
Do yuo actually mean that they bring two boxes onto the market with as only diffference the decal sheets?
SHarjacek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 977 posts
AeroScale: 263 posts
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2011 - 08:30 AM UTC
Nice.
I think the different decals is nothing new from Az.
plasticjunkie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 58 posts
AeroScale: 18 posts
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2011 - 10:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

one with Swedish markings and the other with Danish markings.

Link to Item

Those are Austrian markings not Danish.
SHarjacek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 977 posts
AeroScale: 263 posts
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2011 - 10:30 AM UTC
Yes,i just notice it too. Pretty obvious,says on the instruction sheet too.
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2011 - 10:40 AM UTC
Ooops sorry folks Well spotted plastic junkie.
All the best.
tim
Nicke06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 8 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 - 01:32 AM UTC
The shape around the nose and canopy is very strange. I have seen that AZ is trying to correct the nose witha a new resinpart, how they are going to fix the canopy i don't know. To me AZ has missed the target but I will bay it any way and see if I can fix the errors

Nicklas Karlén, IPMS Sweden
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 05:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The shape around the nose and canopy is very strange. I have seen that AZ is trying to correct the nose witha a new resinpart, how they are going to fix the canopy i don't know. To me AZ has missed the target but I will bay it any way and see if I can fix the errors

Nicklas Karlén, IPMS Sweden

You are right, the nose in the pictures of he model looks very different from what pictures of he real airplane show.

But maybe, consiering that it is resin, this can be easily corrected by AZ. If not, I wonder how easy it would be to correct it.

Nevertheless an interesting new kit
mike_espo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 125 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 - 11:19 AM UTC
Yes. Wondering if they can fix it. The Neomega kit is too expensive and all resin

I think it is supposed to be released in Nov.
spitfire31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sweden
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 - 10:15 PM UTC
Unfortunately, it seems that AZ has blown this chance of giving us a basic but accurate Tunnan, way beyond what a resin update could fix.

The nose and canopy problems have been mentioned already. I haven't got the kit in my hand, but with that caveat it's obvious from the sprue shots (image #4 for example) that the tail cone is wrong, being much too squeezed underneath. The fairing between the afterburner cowling and the tailcone should have roughly parallel edges – not narrow toward the end as in the kit.

Also, there are big question marks regarding the Swedish kit decals.

The markings profile sheet (image #7) shows three J29 E:s. But the 'E' was a different aircraft from the 'F'! While the E did use the new wing with the sawtooth, it still had the original, non-afterburning engine. The F model got the afterburner and so, the aft lower fuselage looks very different.

In other words, in order to build an accurately marked F from the AZ kit, you have to get third party decals.

All in all, a big disappointment, apparently brought about by sloppy research and indifferent kit tooling.

/Joachim
mike_espo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 03:49 AM UTC
That is a shame. Was looking forward to this kit....
mike_espo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2011 - 03:32 AM UTC
Just read in Scale Aviation Modeller's latest edition that the kit will come out any day now....

However, they say that the two decal versions are Swedish and Danish Thats gotta be a mistake.....
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 02:59 AM UTC
Long time no see, everybody. I just picked this up from the shop of a small air wing museum here in Sweden. I haven't looked it over in detail, but I'd say by a first glance it will look like a J 29 to most of us.

The decal sheets are for Swedish J 29's and Austrian ones. The danish AF has a red ring with a white dot in the middle, in stead of the austrian triangle.

I aim for a Kongo recon maching though. The fighters were B-versions, without the sawtooth wing, but the two recon crates had that wing AiND were repainted in the Kongo-camo. I will have to remove the cannon ports and putty up some bulbs around the front gears, but that seems fairly straight forward.

Regarding the kit in itself, it's quite basic. Nicely riveted but not overdone, no locating pins whatsoever, which will call for bracing struts through the body and out into the wings, but with a magnifying glass the cockpit might be nice. The mould is too dark though, so it's hard to see the detail before priming.

I'm moving in a few weeks, and can get a workplace up after a three year standstill, so I hope to see you around again soon.
mike_espo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 07:13 AM UTC
So, its out?
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 08:35 PM UTC
I'm not sure about retailers, but the airwingmuseum at the old F10 fighter base had a batch. They might have made a deal though, since they flew Tunnan for quite a while.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2011 - 11:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm moving in a few weeks, and can get a workplace up after a three year standstill, so I hope to see you around again soon.

Great to see you online again Tony, I'm looking forward to seeing your build of this little gem mate !

Cheers, D
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 12:36 AM UTC
Well, gem might be an overstatement, but I have hopes for it. I also heard something about a 1:48 SAAB 32 Lansen too, but it seems to have hidden in the shadows. I'm not really into jets, but these old designs are just so cook.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i300/rrlillen/S29VitBertiliKongo.jpg

This is what will become of the J 29 though. A recon version from the Congo conflict -61-64. The white "Adam" and "Bertil" had the sawtooth wing, so they can be built with the congo-camo. It calls for some modifications, camera blisters and the little aerial in the intake, but I hope a can get through that. Got new glasses now mate!
mike_espo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 03:10 AM UTC
Thanks Tony. You gave me new confidence that this kit will be worth it.

Hopefully it will be out soon.
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 - 12:15 AM UTC
I will bring my camera in a while and go by the museum of the local (dismantled) air wing to fill a memory card with the Tunnan. I have no idea where to put the pics up around here, but I guess that can be arranged some way. Hopefully I can find a J 32 Lansen too, and do the same with that later on.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 - 02:40 AM UTC
Send them to me and I'll assemble them into a walkaround feature for you : )
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 - 03:16 AM UTC
Super Jessie. Will do that. I'll just have to make myself known at the museum so I can get close enough for the details.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 - 04:00 AM UTC
That's great. Can you make them 800 X 600 (or thereabouts) so they can fit into our feature format please? Also, anything you care to write about the museum and/or the subject would be terriffic.
mike_espo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 10:17 AM UTC
Wow! I see its out. Kinda pricy at 60 USD....

Does anybody know how it looks? Was the nose shape corrected?
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 06:33 PM UTC
Mike, in my box the front part of the nose is a resin part, and (or course) it's casting block is connected at the tip. I'm taking a trip to the 10th fighter wing museum saturday, and then I'll upload all pics, including the kit to Jessie for making a walkaround section. However, you can see one AZ and one Neomega at IPMS Stockholm through the links below.

Neomega by Johan Elvin

AZ by Rickard Andersson

There are issues with both kit, as both builders say, but still - with my eyes they are neither Sabres nor Mig 15's.
 _GOTOTOP