_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
1:48 Alb. C.III fuel tank
valinsky123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 20 posts
AeroScale: 19 posts
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2011 - 10:10 AM UTC
Hello,

I thought I'd pick all the experts' brains on this one. I was just putting what I thought were the finishing touches to a Special Hobby 1:48 Albatros CIII when I realised there is supposed to be a fuel tank on the top wing. Bit cheeky to paint it on the box top and draw it on the painting instructions but not supply a part!

Can anyone tell me exactly what this thing looked like? A photo would be great but a description would do.
I'm planning to adapt a bomb from Roden's DH4 but from what I've seen from Google it looks like the tank wasn't of circular cross-section along its full length but ended in a vertical knife edge.

While I'm at it, I presume the tyres aren't supposed to be as abnormally wide as the kit parts suggest but were the usual WW1 tyres of circular cross-section? Planning to replace those know I've stuck the two halves together with cyano and can't prize them apart again...

I promise to post some photos once I'm done, thanks in advance!
David
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2011 - 04:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello,
I thought I'd pick all the experts' brains on this one. I was just putting what I thought were the finishing touches to a Special Hobby 1:48 Albatros CIII when I realised there is supposed to be a fuel tank on the top wing. Bit cheeky to paint it on the box top and draw it on the painting instructions but not supply a part!

Can anyone tell me exactly what this thing looked like? A photo would be great but a description would do. I'm planning to adapt a bomb from Roden's DH4 but from what I've seen from Google it looks like the tank wasn't of circular cross-section along its full length but ended in a vertical knife edge.

While I'm at it, I presume the tyres aren't supposed to be as abnormally wide as the kit parts suggest but were the usual WW1 tyres of circular cross-section? Planning to replace those know I've stuck the two halves together with cyano and can't prize them apart again...

I promise to post some photos once I'm done, thanks in advance!
David

Greetings David,
When I built the early Eduard kit I used a small modified Christmas light bulb.

valinsky123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 20 posts
AeroScale: 19 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2011 - 10:21 AM UTC
Thanks for this Jack, I've ended up with something similar from my whittling.

The C III is now complete, I'll post some pics tomorrow!
David
 _GOTOTOP