_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Special Hobby 1:48 Albatros C.III
valinsky123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 20 posts
AeroScale: 19 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2011 - 11:17 PM UTC
After the last-minute help with the fuel tank I got this one finished last night. So here also is Special Hobby's Albatros CIII, started way back in March or something. Did my best to get a slightly see-through look on the wings, aided by the old decal on the bottom of the top wing and paint over it trick. The kit is good but I thinned down the trailing edges considerably (including the centre-section cut-out, not sure this is correct!) and had to scratch the centre-line fuel tank on the top wing as the kit doesn't have one. Never mind, a bomb from a Roden DH4 came in handy. It probably doesn't bear much resemblance to any of the real possibilities but it will do for me.

Hope you enjoy!

wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2011 - 02:28 AM UTC
Now that's nice. I think you really pulled off the translucent look really wel. The crosses under the upper wing is a fantastic touch.
valinsky123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2011 - 08:02 AM UTC
Thanks Marc, I got the under-wing decal trick from somewhere online, quite probably here! At some point I'll have another go at translucency, there's a Fokker E III and a Vickers Gunbus in the stash.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2011 - 09:03 AM UTC
David , you did a wonderful job on your build !
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2011 - 09:42 AM UTC
Nicely done! Thank you sincerely for sharing this.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2011 - 10:58 AM UTC
Excellent, David. 1/48th?
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2011 - 11:32 AM UTC
David,
Very very nice all round. I am particularly impressed by your transparency results. The bottoms of the wings appear to have some texturing in a few of the photos; the color effect comes off as a clear doped fabric more succesfully then I've seen prior to this build. Can you tell us more on the details?
In the interim, congratulations on a beautiful model.
Cheers,
Lance
valinsky123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2011 - 08:29 PM UTC
Hi Lance,

thanks for your comments. The effect was achieved somewhat serendipitously but I'll try to explain! First off I'm using brushes which is a definite advantage here.
1. put a white coat over the whole wing surface (not necessarily perfectly opaque)
2. put on rib patterns and decals of crosses (or roundels of course!). I actually did this free-hand but next time I think masking will have to be done. Once it's painted I blurred the edges of ribs and crosses a bit with some pastel dust
3.Mix together a gloss coat with various yellows/browns and brush on leaving a bit a of a streaky effect, probably need a couple of coats
4.Mix together a gloss coat with a little white and thin quite a bit. Brush this on by placing a small amount of paint on the surface, spreading it out over the whole wing and then brushing vigorously first across the length of the wing, then across the chord. Repeat until paint has dried and won't move anymore. I put on two of these coats. They give a good translucent kind of woven effect.
5. I then added a coat the same as above but with yellow instead of white in the thinned gloss paint. Gives a bit of a glow.

It's quicker to do than it is to describe! The top wing was done quite by accident to rescue a too brown-yellow coat over the decals etc. Of course when I tried to mimic the effect on the bottom wing it wasn't quite as effective in my opinion. Murphy's law. Hope that helps and thanks again!
David
 _GOTOTOP