_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Alclad application tps needed
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 - 09:25 PM UTC
Hi all.

I'm in the late stages of building Tamiya's 1/32 Mustang, Ive never done a NBMF before, being one of the stringbaggers from early aviation. I've a bottle of AlcladII highly polished aluminuim I bought years ago to use.

I just hope someone can give me a few pointers to whats best, what pitfalls etc or a link to a blog on the subject.

Many thanks

Keith
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 - 09:52 PM UTC
Hi Keith

Nige's Alclad Adventures is a great place to start.

Looking forward to seeing your finished 'Stang!

All the best

Rowan
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 - 09:52 PM UTC
There's a good guide of "Alclad adventures" under THIS LINK.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 04:47 PM UTC
Do not use the alclad gloss black for an undercoat! it is horrible.

the tamiya gloss black in a spray can works great. even though it is a lacquer base instead of the recommended acrylic, it works really well.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 05:41 PM UTC
I use Tamiya Gloss or Semi Gloss Black acrylic under my alclad with really good results

This is the semi-gloss

with airframe aluminium alclad

and with polished chrome alclad

Cheers, D
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2011 - 07:15 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies Guys, all much help.

I dabbled with the Alclad and did a little trial with Citadel paints to, to be honest I found the citadel metallics as good as the Alclad in appearance, which surprised me.. Anyway I sprayed her in them.

thanks again
Keith
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2011 - 08:29 AM UTC
Hi Keith

Which Citadel paints did you use? I'd be very interested in trying them myself if the results are comparable to Alclad.

All the best

Rowan
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2011 - 09:41 AM UTC
I'd be interested as to how you airbrushed the Citadel paints as when I tried it just went lumpy and clogged my airbrush no matter what I tried to thin it..
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2011 - 12:04 PM UTC
Rowan

I use Citadels Chainmail 61-65 for the polished ali mixing a little Boltgun Metal 61-57 to add some tonal differences (this incidentally comes out as a lovely steel used alone. High lights can be added with Mithril Silver 61-55.

Allen

I thin them with Tamiya X-20A thinners, but I keep the mix very thin. the paint seems to swirl in suspension but i dont get clogging. In the past I tried with water and it went lumpy as you describe or puddled too easily.

Hope this helps, as soon as I get chance I'll pop a couple of snaps on to show how it looks.

Keith
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2011 - 09:11 PM UTC
Cheers Keith

My local Toymaster shop carries Citadel paints so I'll give them a try. I've never used their metallics, but I've found the couple of standard colours I've bought lately are really nice to work with.

All the best

Rowan
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 - 04:45 AM UTC
I like the Citadel metallics too. Nice selection of shades and the pigment size is pleasantly small. I've also tried airbrushing them and also noticed their tendency of clogging the airbrush. When thinned with water to airbrushable extent, the pigment likes to separate and cause clogs.

Then one day I got the idea of adding Future to the mixture and bingo! Some Future in the mix seems to reduce airbrush clogging significantly. As if the pigments didn't settle down that fast.
So far I haven't done that much experimenting yet, but a mixture of 1 part water, 1 part future and 2 parts Citadel metallic seems to flow much better and clog much less than the simple 50/50 mix of water and paint I was struggling with before.

I haven't tried Lifecolor acrylic thinner yet, but since it works so nicely with various acrylics, I can't see why it wouldn't work with Citadels as well.

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 - 04:55 AM UTC
Hi Eetu

Thanks for the Klear/Future tip - I'll give it a try.

I bought some today and found they airbrush beautifully if thinned with Liquitex Slo-Dri. (I also tried Isopropyl Alcohol, but that turned them to goo instantly - which surprised me as it seems to be the principal ingredient in Tamiya thinners...)

Looking at my results so far, I wouldn't say they capture the "real metal" look of Alclad, but I prefer them to other acrylic metallics I've tried to date.

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP