_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Airbrush compressor - Help needed!
Antigonos
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 01:10 AM UTC
As you can see I am new to the forums, but please do not shoot me for asking once again a question that comes twice per thread

Before asking I made a search for a post that could possibly cover me, but I had no luck. So, please bear with me

I have bought a Badger Velocity from the Renegade Series for my first AB, since at the price I bought it, it was a steal. After all, my choice was not hard. It's Badger and one of the best models of the company.

I have problems, however, choosing a compressor and here is where I could use some help.

1) How much psi should I look for? I know that I will most probably not using high psi, but I would not mind having something stronger.

2) Is buying a second hand compressor through eBay a risky endeavour? Should I go always for brand new compressors?

3) Are the chinese compressors any good? E.g. this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350489123164?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1543wt_1143

4) Is it better to have a 2-piston compressor compared to 1-piston? If yes, why?

5) How essential is an air tank?

Some info that might help you help me:

- I will be using the AB for 28mm models and tanks. Apart from basecoating etc, I plan to do some detailed work with my AB as well (paint humanoid models, etc)

- I will be using mostly Games Workshop's acrylic paints (at least till I finish them and switch to Vallejo Air)

- I live in the UK and whatever this might mean for my access to US stores.

- My budget is as low as 100 pounds, but I could possibly stretch it for something that is worth it.
Snorri23
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 514 posts
AeroScale: 244 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 02:26 AM UTC
There are two kinds of compressors, piston and diaphragm. The piston type needs to have oil thus periodically check the level. As for a diaphragm it is relatively maintenance free. (I could be wrong there) Both need to have the tank drained for moisture will accumulate within. (That is if it has one) If you are only going to use it for hobby purposes and not fill your car tyre a small 1/4 hp (horse power) will do. Having a tank either with the compressor or separately allows one to spray when silence is required. Also it eliminate pulsations. Which is created by the compressor as it cycles.
Or you can use an extremely long hose between the airbrush and the compressor which will act as an air tank. Which creates the volume in which the pulsations will be eliminated. If you do not have a continuous even pressure your paint will come out in spurts and have little or no control of the paint coming out. A pressure gauge, regulator and moisture trap are also needed. The regulator will set the air pressure coming from the compressor for most pump the air pressure at 100psi and allows one to set it at the desired psi. A moisture trap is needed for as air is compressed heat is created and as it cools moisture will be created. For living in the U.K. you will need one. A simple in-line paper filter moisture trap will do. Some do come with these items included. As for the number of pistons all I can think of is that the rpm will be lower and possibly more expensive and you will not need something that dramatic. As for brands I have no idea, if you find a good deal on the net go for it. Most cheap crap is made in China and if it breaks toss it. You will not need an elaborate one just something simple which will not break the bank. I use an old lorry compressor hooked up to an old water pressure tank. With that huge air tank I can also do repairs on my vehicle using pneumatic tools. That should give you a general understanding if I have forgotten anything others here will gladly inform you.
gaborka
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Borsod-Abauj-Zemblen, Hungary
KitMaker: 626 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 05:23 AM UTC
Hello,

you have bought a very good airbrush indeed! The Renegade is simply superb, although almost too good for your use, the 28mm equipment. It is delivered with the ultra-fine nozzle (0,15mm or so) you might want to have a set of fine (0,3) nozzle and needle for some paints. I have used the Citadel range for airbrushing, the quick drying time is a problem sometimes (for airbrushing I thin Citadel with pure alcohol which further accelerates drying), so with a larger nozzle you have less chance of paint clogging in the tip. Use the Citadel paint at 15-20psi, respective of the thinning and the line width you want to create.

Concerning the compressor, maybe my experience helps you, I own a Chinese-made Fengda AS-186. Mine is 4 years old and I have operated it regularly without problems during this time. While it is indeed cheap it is everything but crap (it is a knock-off of an Italian compressor which is about 300 EUR), I found it actually to be very reliable. In my country it is available between 120-150 EUR. You might consider buying a compressor without air tank, which is cheaper. If you really paint only 28mm figures the risk of overheating is small, but on a long term you will find the air-tank variant pays. This compressor needs no maintenance at all, so no oil supply. This compressor is equipped an air filter/moisture trap assembly, which regulates the pressure at the same time. The highest pressure you will probably need is about 40psi, which is about 2,8 bar. The compresor in your e-bay link is a 2-piston variant of the same compressor. Two pistons provide less pulsation and more compressed air on the output end, filling the air tank faster. Since you have the tank the pulsing is no problem anyway.

Then you need an air hose, The compressor has an 1/8" male threaded output and the Renegade has an 1/8" adapter so you need a hose with female 1/8" nuts on both ends. You may want to add a quick coupler to the hose for a more practical use, it is also available in 1/8" size. It costs about 4 EUR here.

I hope it helps.

Buckeye198
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 596 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 09:38 AM UTC
Look right here buddy...https://archive.kitmaker.net/forums/181725#1525492

To answer your questions:

1. Detail work with gravity feeds (in my experience) shouldn't need more than 20psi. Siphon-feeds need a bit more, between 30 and 50 depending on what kind of work you're doing.

2. If you have the money, use it. Circulating money helps the economy, after all. In my opinion, anything big and technical should be bought new unless you can repair the piece yourself if/when it breaks. I just don't trust anything used that I'll be dishing out more than $20 for. But that's just me. Maybe you have more faith in used equipment.

3. Same thing, it's a personal preference. As a nation with very low manufacturing standards, there's a larger risk that what you'll get will be cheaply designed and made. I had a VERY bad experience with a cheapo no-name compressor (inefficient, missing pieces, no replacements, a horrible excuse for a customer service department, worthless warranty, etc). I don't trust equipment unless it's from a reputable company that's been around for at least 10 years. Again, just my personal lack of faith.

4. Gotta be honest...no idea. All I know is I don't want to deal with oil.

5. YES. Unless you want to the constant whine of a compressor playing through your entire spray session, you want a tank.

From further experience, I can say that Vallejo Air colors are great, but even though they're advertised as AB-ready, you'll still have to thin them down a tad. And the compressor I suggested in the above link is about 50 pounds ($80). Sears does ship to the UK, and I think the total end cost will be about 60. Look into that compressor for a true quality piece of American craftsmanship. And if that doesn't convince you, it comes with a nail gun...
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 10:15 AM UTC
Easy answer, for using an airbrush an el cheapo compressor with a tank, water trap and air regulator is all you need. I have one like the one in the picture except just a single piston and it is fine. But that price seems a little steep.
I also have a much larger one I got from a local discount auto-parts store that I now use for inflating tres and using large spray guns.
You don't need all the fancy stuff and twin piston is overkill to the max. Your local discount auto-parts or hardware store should have something that will do the job with ease.
acktwice
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 51 posts
AeroScale: 50 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 02:02 PM UTC
There really isn't [to my experience] a good inexpensive compressor on the market.A good option is to buy an air tank. Over here in the states Sears sells air tanks for about $20. If you have access to acompressor you can fill the tank and at air brush pressures it can last quite awhile before needing to be refilled.I only mention this as an inexpensive option. A good compressor can be quite expensive. But you don't want to lay out a lot of money only to discover that you don't care much for airbrushing.I started about 15 years ago air brushing with a Badger[which is a damn good reliable]airbrush and a second hand piston type compressor.The same airbrush is still used by me on a daily basis.The compressor was noisy but never failed me.After all these years I upgraded to a silent diaphram type which I really like.An air dryer and 5 gallon tank complete the set up.I've added an Iwata air brush to my tool kit which I highly reccomend as an addition in the future. Try to go second hand on a compressor if you think the sears air tank isn't feasible. I hope some of this will help. Jack
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 - 04:46 AM UTC
1. i usually use 15-20 psi, so for pressure, almost any compressor will do

2. second hand is a very bad idea, unless when you know exaclty where the thing comes from and you trust the person selling it.

Pressure equipment can be dangerous, I have seen once a tank explosion because the pressure sensor was not functioing properly, and the safety valve did not work either. You do not want to be in the way of that!

3 I hate stolen designs, it undermines the economy that is feeding me and the social system that is supporting me

4. at 15-30 psi, fro airbrushing, this is not your worry

5. for what you are trying to do, you do not need an airtank (low pressure and small amount of air needed) but you do need a moisture trap. For a piston, and oil lubricated compressor, an oil trap may also be useful.

There are very handy, low noise compressors on the market specially made for airbrushing. I would advise getting one of those (like i have done).

I started years ago with a big 100 liter tank double piston compressor because i happened to have one but now that I have a small, silent compressor airbrushing has become much more attractive.

I have a sparmax ac-100, works like a charm
 _GOTOTOP