_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Best Choise for BF 110
Audren_Dbo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
KitMaker: 69 posts
AeroScale: 11 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 06:01 AM UTC
Hi folks!

I usually build jet models (or militaria), but now I trying to move to something diferent, I decide to experiment a WWII era warplane, and before I do a (big) bomber, I want start with something smaller, so I chose the German BF-110.

My doubt is wich kit to buy?!

Looking at Hobbyeasy, I found very intersting models, like these two:
http://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/44339.html

[url=http://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/49269.html

But wich of both kits is the best? The Eduard kit comes with photoetch and mask, and what I read about him it's impressively detailled (mainly in cockpit). I can't find a review about Dragon's kit, but comparing the manuals, seems he has good detailing too, don't come with a lot of etch (or masks ) but comes with the engine.

With similar prices, I'm in doubt how is the best choise. Can anyone help me?

P.S.: I'm not interested in a particular variant, only the best model of the subject (BF 110 in this case).
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 06:39 AM UTC
here is a review of the dragon version: http://modelingmadness.com/scotts/axis/previews/dragon/5555.htm

also a build log here

I think with either brand, you'll get a winner.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 09:33 AM UTC
There are quite a variety of 110's being build in the current "Zerstorer" Campaign HERE which might give you some more info.

Cheers, D
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2011 - 06:47 AM UTC

The Dragon/Hobbyeasy is best because it has a correct rear fuselage cross-section. Eduard got their rear fuselage far too slim and "oval": The correct cross-section of the tail is squarish with rounded corners, which Dragon really nailed.

Eduard engraving is more detailed and refined, but tends to dispear in the poor fit of components.

That being said, if I ever get around to mine I will combine Eduard G wings to a Hobby Easy fusleage, and Hobby Easy clear parts combined with Eduard clear parts to create the G-2 version...

The Hobby Easy wheel wells are far better than Eduard in the internal bracing structure depiction.

The easiest route by far is an "E" using only the Hobby Easy kit, as the Eduard is not an easy build.

Gaston
MrMtnMauler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 224 posts
AeroScale: 223 posts
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2011 - 07:16 AM UTC
Do you actually build models or just talk about how bad they all are? Just curious
JayShack
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 42 posts
AeroScale: 30 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 02, 2011 - 03:00 PM UTC
ive recently purchased a 1:32 Dragon BF 110D/E 2 in 1, which allows you to build either a nightfighter 110 or a normal day fighting 110, which is great so far, ive just finished the cockpit which, with the instructions was pretty straight forward
Jay

P.S i wasnt paid by dragon to say that i swear
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 03:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Do you actually build models or just talk about how bad they all are? Just curious

I just talk about how bad they all are, because so far fixing them has proved hopeless (so now I'm only building Finemolds and Modelsvit Yak-1bs, kits that actually don't need fixing)...

Anyway, we have here a good example of how dubious a lot of kits are, since they can't seem to agree about anything concerning the original subject...: I mentionned I was going to do a G, with the correct more square rear fuselage, by using Eduard G wings with the better Hobby Easy fuselage: No such luck: The chord at the root of the Eduard kit doesn't agree with Hobby Easy fuselage by over 6 scale inches...

My guess is the Hobby Easy kit displays the more serious research, and will be the winner on what the maximum wing chord of a Me-110 actually is... But it's only a guess, mostly based on the impression left on me by Eduard's FW-190A "research"...

These people make moulds that costs hundreds of thousands of dollars, for subjects which do have a few museum original examples within Europe itself, and yet they can't agree within 15 centimeters or more about how long the wingroot actually is on a fairly small aircraft...

This hobby is just drowning in super-precision I tell you...

Gaston

SunburntPenguin
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 121 posts
AeroScale: 112 posts
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2011 - 03:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I just talk about how bad they all are, because so far fixing them has proved hopeless (so now I'm only building Finemolds and Modelsvit Yak-1bs, kits that actually don't need fixing)...

The Spit Mk XII thread was shut down due to too much talk about your corrections to that kit, by the way how is that going?

Why not face reality head on and realise that not all kits are going to be the super accurate examples that you seem to demand that they be.

GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2011 - 07:59 AM UTC

It is going very well.

The underside gray is on.

It has needed way more modifications than the thread implied: The Airfix sliding canopy is waaay too bubbly (as it might also be by a slight amount on the 1/32 Tamiya, but there were variations) and the rear half-circular clear part makes a big step with the back (should be flush), so both had to be re-worked with smash mouldings...

The prop is still hopeless, so it will be a spinning spinner...

Gaston
wespe66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Frederiksborg, Denmark
KitMaker: 122 posts
AeroScale: 121 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2011 - 01:35 AM UTC
Hi Audren,

I have build the 1/48 Eduard Bf 110D about 2 years ago, and I'm currently finishing the 1/32 Dragon Bf 110C for the Zerstörer campaign. I think they are both very nice kits with incredible details. The Eduard has a few fit-problems, which the Dragon do not have, but the end result is well worth the extra work. I do have a Royal Class double kit in the stash, and I'm also planning on building the Dragon 1/32 night fighter - as soon as my children have left home and I have retired from my day job
Bottom line is - I can recommend both (for experienced modellers). It just depends on the size of your shelf!

Kenneth
Audren_Dbo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
KitMaker: 69 posts
AeroScale: 11 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 - 06:52 AM UTC
Well guys, thanks for all directions!

I decide to buy the Dragon's kit. The fact of the Eduard's kit comes with lots os photoecth let me too undecided, but reading the comments and following the directions posted here, I judge with careful painting is possible to achieve a very good interior for the Dragon's kit, meanwhile the dragons kit come with the complete engine, and I realy like to show this kind of component.

Thanks for all advices, now I'm waiting the kit (along with others) arrives from china.

See ya!!

Audren - D'bó.
 _GOTOTOP