_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Afghanistan Campaign
retiredyank
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
AeroScale: 79 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 - 02:24 PM UTC
It was recomended that I post this campaign proosal here, as well as on Armorama. The reason for this is that helos are acceptable. So, here it is. Looking to run an Afghanistan Campaign starting Nov. 2011 and running till July 2012. Any war in Afghanistan is acceptable. 1/72-1/35. Must be original kit for this campaign. All figures, armor, softskins and helos from the specific war are acceptable. No restrictions on am parts. Let me know what you think.
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 - 03:52 PM UTC
More people would probably be inclined to join if the numerous ac's were allowed as well
retiredyank
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 - 07:12 PM UTC
I'll allow any acs used by ground forces(Marines, Army).
vertigo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 388 posts
AeroScale: 225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 - 08:15 PM UTC
So we're talking about a full range of helicopters from different nations and then if we include aircraft used by the USMC we're also including the AV-8B Harrier, the FA-18 Hornet and such?
vertigo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 - 10:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

So we're talking about a full range of helicopters from different nations and then if we include aircraft used by the USMC we're also including the AV-8B Harrier, the FA-18 Hornet and such?

Actually, disregard all of the above. It won't let me edit it.

I think I know where you're coming from; you want to keep the campaign focused towards the ground war and allowing aircraft used by ground forces like the U.S Army Aviation because helicopters and such are highly integrated with ground forces.

Well I think that's acceptable; it allows for a wide range of helicopters in service with quite a number of countries, Afghanistan is a hot-bed after all. It also opens up possibilities for UAV's and light fixed-wing observation planes.
retiredyank
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 12:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think I know where you're coming from; you want to keep the campaign focused towards the ground war and allowing aircraft used by ground forces like the U.S Army Aviation because helicopters and such are highly integrated with ground forces.

Well I think that's acceptable; it allows for a wide range of helicopters in service with quite a number of countries, Afghanistan is a hot-bed after all. It also opens up possibilities for UAV's and light fixed-wing observation planes.

That was my reasoning, exactly. I may allow close air support, as well. This will open up some of the USN and USAF fields. Reasoning behind this is that, like the A-10, some other aircraft are debatedly ground support units.
vertigo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 12:49 AM UTC
Absolutely, aircraft like the A-10, the AV-8B Harrier II, the British Harrier GR.7 and GR.9, Russian SU-25 Frogfoots, maybe the A-6 Intruder as well.

That should grab some interest I think.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 06:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

That was my reasoning, exactly. I may allow close air support, as well. This will open up some of the USN and USAF fields. Reasoning behind this is that, like the A-10, some other aircraft are debatedly ground support units.

well, with that reasoning, F-14s, F-15s, F-16s, and F-18s (among others) dropped a lot of ordinance in direct support of ground forces too.

In the Soviet conflict, MiG-21s often fired rockets in direct support of ground troops too.

but if direct contact with ground observers, such as those a/c crews often had, is still not close enough support, then i'll be more than happy to join with an A-10, should the rules happen to flex that far.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 10:34 AM UTC
Personally I think you would get more interest from Aeroscaler's if it was any aircraft involved in the war(s) in Afghanistan. Narrowing to anything involved directly in ground support doesn't leave too much choice but opening it up certainly would and would be my preference if I was to take part.

Which Aircraft Are Being Used In Afghanistan?

RAF Aircraft In Afghanistan?

Found this on Wikipedia

Quoted Text

The United Kingdom deployed sea, air and land assets for the initial offensive against the Taliban/al-Qaeda in 2001-2.... The Royal Air Force contributed Tristar and VC-10 tanker aircraft, E-3D Sentry surveillance and control aircraft, Nimrod R1 surveillance aircraft, Nimrod MR2 maritime reconnaissance aircraft, Canberra PR9 reconnaissance aircraft, C-130 Hercules air transport aircraft and Chinook helicopters from 27 Squadron.

retiredyank
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 12:28 PM UTC
This is an Armorama baby. Close air support only. Air strikes would include and only include those called in by spotters in the field.
 _GOTOTOP