_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
WWII Aircraft Accurate books
JayShack
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 42 posts
AeroScale: 30 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 07:03 PM UTC
im looking for some books which are great inspiration for painting the exterior of WWII aircraft, none in particular and was wondering what you use for inspiration? ive a few 'Aircraft of the Aces' books which are quite good, however are their other books with more profile pictures (see example image below)
cheers
Jay Shack

C[ ]
JayShack
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 42 posts
AeroScale: 30 posts
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2011 - 03:25 PM UTC
seriously, noone has any suggestions?
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2011 - 04:06 PM UTC
I have a copy of World War 2 aircraft by Gunderson I believe it is. It has many good profiles and nice little information on WW2 birds. Another book, if you can find it I have is called Flying Colors, it has many good profiles as well of aircraft from WW1 to WW2 to Korea, Vietnam and the present. Hope this helps you out a bit.

One more thought, if you look for Osprey books you can find some good information, good reading and good color profiles in those books as well. They have a myriad of subjects in aviation to choose from. HTH Russell
acktwice
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 51 posts
AeroScale: 50 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 - 06:40 AM UTC
The quest for references is so open that it's hard to answer.I read a lot and I only keep books that can be used for reference purposes.I don't think there is any one book that can fit the bill.I would suggest online hunting.Check publishing house sites.I've found that when building a plane the best reference is a book written expressly for that particular aircraft. I think the cheap way out is to check the magazine racks at your local bookstore.You may even have a magazine store within a reasonable distance.Air Classics, Warbirds are a few excellent publications that I recommend for reference.They are bi-monthly mags but if you watch the magazine racks sooner or later you will see your favorite plane featured. I hope this helps you out.
 _GOTOTOP