_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
special operations blackhawk
barnsley5000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 136 posts
AeroScale: 16 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 - 07:49 AM UTC
hi, ive just purchased ACADEMYS 1/35TH UH-60L and want to convert in into a special operations blackhawk used in iraq, so what kits do i need and what do i need to scratch build, also what kit do i need for aircrew(pilots, door gunner/crew cheif etc.) any ideas on what special forces set to use as ground troops? any help apreciated and ill post pics of my work when i start it
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 - 09:46 AM UTC
The Special Operations version of the Blackhawk is the MH-60L.

A good walkaround can be found at ARC.

To build a plain transport or "slick" version Spec Ops Blackhawk from the 160th SOAR (Special Operations Aviation Regiment) "Nightstalkers" out of the UH-60A/L kit, is going to be really costly since it has almost none of the MH-60L components in it.

You need to start with the Cobra Company UH-60L Correction / Update Set. This will give you some of the pieces missing from the Academy kit; such as the square folding stabilator (horizontal tail plane), extended step sponsons, intakes with FOD covers, and more detailed gunners bulkheads and rear wall.

You also need Cobra Company's MH-60L Conversion Set to dress up the cockpit and it provides the FLIR turret and weather radar, MH-60L IP, along with some other MH-60L specific items.

And Cobra Company's Blackhawk Weapons Set to source the M134 miniguns for the gunners' windows.

You will still be missing the refueling probe, internal AUX fuel tanks (not always carried), center ammo bins (not always used), and some other MH-60L parts.

It is actually better to start with the Academy AH-60L DAP kit (#2217), which is really an MH-60L since the US does not use the AH designation with Blackhawks. It includes basically all the parts in the above sets. I would still recommend the CC MH-60L Conversion Set or the UH-60 Detail Set (minus the IP) to dress up the cockpit. You also still need to either widen the step sponsons or get the CC UH-60L Conversion / Update set for them.

For both of the above options, you will need to get the CC MH-60L Stencil Data Sheet, Subdued decals. The markings on 160th SOAR helos are all OD Green on overall flat black helicopters. No kit has the correct color decals. Also, Werner's Wings is working on a full set of SOAR decals for multiple helicopters as well. They should be out soon.

I see you already found my MH-60L DAP build. Also check out the OpGothic Serpent Blackhawks post to get general info on the aircarft. It is more specific to the '93 Ranger mission in Somalia, but will give you an idea of how they can be outfitted.

For crew figures, check out the Helo Crew Figures thread. The Nemrod sets are the best for a current crew. The Academy OH-58D pilots are good too.

For Operators on the ground, there are many options. Most of them are in resin. Check out Warriors, New World Miniatures, Verlinden, Bravo 6, or MAIM to name a few. Or do a search on some of the online sites or eBay for special forces figure and you will get a bunch of options.

Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions.
barnsley5000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 03:42 AM UTC
DON't suppose you can give me an idea of price??
barnsley5000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 04:02 AM UTC
also wat do i need to scratch??
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 04:16 AM UTC
The prices are at the links on the Cobra Company site. The AH-60L goes for about $50 here in the states.

As far as scratch, it depends on how detailed you want to make it. You can scratch the FRIES (Fast Rope Insertion/Extraction System) rack that goes on the roof, as I did.

You could also open up the ceiling as shown above. Open panels, add wiring and cables, etc, etc., etc. It's really up to you.

You really don't "have" to scratch anything if you get the AH-60L or all the Cobra Company sets. Either way will build a pretty complete MH-60L.
barnsley5000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 04:26 AM UTC
ta,will get back to you when i begin the project
barnsley5000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2011 - 06:36 AM UTC
Hi, my mate has just give me a idea of making the sea hawk varient used by special forces, what do i eed to buy tocovert it , what eeds scratching and what paint colurs? Any help apreciated.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2011 - 09:53 AM UTC
If you mean an MH-60S Knighthawk...

It is another major rebuild. The biggest difference is the folding, naval rotors. You can modify the Academy non-folding head to look like it though. I did so on my 1/35 USCG MH-60J.

To do so, you have to angle the rotor blade roots and add the hinge mechanisms.

The finished product (mostly, I later added the domed cover on top of the rotor head):

More here.

Again, it would be better to start with the AH-60L DAP kit. It has the folding stabilator and recovery hoist (above the right side cabin door) already in the kit. Again, I would still add the CC interior sets. You would also have to scratch the FLIR board on the nose and you would have to source NAVY decals. I don't know of any. The IP is different as well, being all glass and having the extended Naval hood, similar to what I did for my MH-60J.

MH-60S IP

It is probably just as much work as an MH-60L, especially from the UH-60A/L kit.

Naval Spec Ops also uses HH-60H and SH-60Fs as well. That's another huge conversion. Basically the same as my MH-60J conversion.

I don't know how experienced you are with resin conversions, cutting kits up, scratch-building, etc., but if you just want a Spec Ops H-60, just about all of the above are available in 1/48 or 1/72 and all you have to do is build it, straight from the box. It seems you are all over the place here with no idea what you want to build or what the different types are.
barnsley5000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2011 - 07:39 AM UTC
sorry im gunna make both and have got 1 of the ah-60L DAP KITS IM USED TO MAKING figures and armour so i was/AM NEW to this. ta for the help
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2011 - 08:16 AM UTC
Good luck on them and keep us posted.
 _GOTOTOP