_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
Amodel 1/72 HUP-3 RCN
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 10:02 AM UTC
I built this kit several years ago. It was a battle from the word go. I had to convert the model from a HUP-2 to something that looked like a HUP-3. This involved filling in the lower pair of intakes on the rear rotor pylon and adding the semi-circular fairing on the starboard fuselage side. The plastic delaminated at every opportunity. I think that in the end I had to coat the entire thing with Superglue to stop it from peeling up as I was sanding it. There are also major shape issues. If you look at a prcture of the real thing, you can see that it's got a distinctly oval cross-section. The Amodel kit was far more rectangular. I used plastic sheet laminated onto the top of the fuselage to make it look a little more oval but it's far from perfect. The nose bowl is far too shallow and not rounded enough but I gave up on trying to correct it and just finished the beast.The Mach-2 kit or even the old Airmodel vac would probably be a better option. I may rip this one apart and use the detail parts with the Airmodel fuselage one of these days. The decals are taken from a very old IPMS Canada sheet which has suffered badly from yellowing. I bleached them in sunlight as best I could, but the film is still too visible against the light grey.

I put a fictional engine inside the gaping hole in the bottom, just to have something visible in there.

russamotto
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
AeroScale: 375 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 10:11 AM UTC
It's a very nice looking build.
 _GOTOTOP