_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Newbie 1/48th B-17 build.
joegrafton
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,209 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2011 - 12:07 PM UTC
Hi,
I've recently become very interested in building the Revell 1/48th B-17G Flying Fortress so I went out & bought one.
I'm very new to the subject of airplane modelling so a few hints & tips would be a great help.
Are there any good after market products available to enhance this kit?
I'd quite like to model the plane in flight so is there a crew available?
Any pitfalls with this kit?
I'd like to paint it in the bare metallic version so any advice on the best paints to use?
Thanks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joe.
MrMtnMauler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 224 posts
AeroScale: 223 posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2011 - 01:31 PM UTC
Hi Joe, well my two cents worth kinda depend on whether this is your first kit or not. I'm assuming from your "Newbie' title you might be so may I offer a couple hard learned suggestions. As far as after-market parts, typically they are mulit media (ie resin, photoetched metal or vacuformed polystyrene) and as such are a bit trick to handle. So, you may prefer to make a straight OOB or out of the box build to get your feet under you. Second, bare-metal finishes are one of the toughest to make nice not to mention to just get right. So, you might choose a camo scheme for your kit that is attractive but is not so frustrating that you want to shove a firecracker up the pipes and blow it up. I hope that was a bit helpful and I am looking forward to seeing your build however you choose. Take care and as always, just have fun :-) jim
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2011 - 01:44 PM UTC
True Details does several resin detail kits for the interior.Scale Aircraft Conversions does metal landing gear that are listed in the previous link. If you like Photo etch, Eduard has a massive set which replaces just about the entire interior and much of the exterior bits, all for a pri¢e, of cour$e. Each of the listed sets can be purchased individually as well.

Our very own NickZour is doing the very same kit with the True Details sets and a lot of sweat. His build thread would be a good place to see what you're getting in for.

For bare metal you can't beat Alclad. You have to apply it exactly according to the instructions, but when you do, it'll look fantastic. I don't know of available crew figures. Most people tend to rob them from other kits and Monogram kits from the era the B-17 was tooled as a rule didn't have seated crew figures. Most aftermarket figures are moulded as though they're on the ground rather than in the air.

Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 346 posts
AeroScale: 307 posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2011 - 03:43 PM UTC
PM sent. I hope this helps you out. I look forward to seeing your build
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 729 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 - 03:38 AM UTC
A noble undertaking! Matt Swan has a nice compilation about the kit and aftermarket for it: http://www.swannysmodels.com/B17G.html

Cheers!
chuk
joegrafton
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 - 04:04 AM UTC
Hi guys,
Thanks for all your replies.
I'm not exactly new to modelling as I've built two or three 1/35th military trucks in both resin & plastic; although they aren't painted yet!
I've only very recently moved home & all my modelling stuff is packed away!
I am, however, totally new to the aircraft genre so it will be nice to pick your brains over the next few months. Mabye I'll create a build blog for the project!
Joe.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 - 04:35 AM UTC
Since you're in the UK, Hannants will gladly sell you any (or all) of these fine products.
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 - 03:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Our very own NickZour is doing the very same kit with the True Details sets and a lot of sweat. His build thread would be a good place to see what you're getting in for.

Hey that's me

Mr. Joe, I want to suggest you NOT to buy the True Details set for the cockpit, because you are going to be into deep trouble, while trying to close the two halves of the fuselage (It was a lot of PAIN ) Prefer Eduard's instead. that's what I'll do next time...
I also would like to suggest you NOT to buy the True Details waist gunner detail set. It gives almost no actual super-detail, and I call it a waste of money. I'll prefer Eduard option next time too
As for the wheels, that's the strong point of the True Detail set and I definetely recommend it

You can check my article, Mr. Jessica posted for the rest

Cheers Nick
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 - 04:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

*Ahem! "Mr"?

I'm sorry, I can't do "Mr".
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 - 05:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

*Ahem! "Mr"?

I'm sorry, I can't do "Mr".

Whoops, It seems that Typing in the computer during listening March Songs, is not the best thing to combine .

Unfortunately only the admins can edit my post now
Sorry MRS. Jessica...

Cheers Nick
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 - 06:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I want to suggest you NOT to buy the True Details set for the cockpit, because you are going to be into deep trouble, while trying to close the two halves of the fuselage

Nick, I'm curious about your troubles because it's too late for me; I already have the cockpit set. Was it the floor or rear bulkhead that caused the fit problem, or was it something else?
joegrafton
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 - 08:49 AM UTC
Yeah, Nick, I'm curious about that, too.
I've gone out & bought the cockpit, bombardier section & waist gunner section.
I have the wheel set also!
Let us know how you eventually managed to get it all fixed together.
Joe.
 _GOTOTOP