_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
dragon/DML etch struts....
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2011 - 06:14 AM UTC
hi all,

has anyone found a way of "padding out" the photo etch struts that come with the dragom/dml kits? or do you just replace them with plastic stock?

i'm working on the 1/48 D.VIII

many thanks

paul
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2011 - 03:22 PM UTC
Greetings Ludwig,

Most modelers that have worked with the Dragon stainless steel struts either hate them or love the. To bring some thicker cross section to them just sand the surfaces to give it some tooth. This means holding the fret on a flat surfaceand push your heavy grit sand paper one direction til the whole surface is scored. Then take some Evergreen or Construct plastic strips .030 X .040 Thou. and glue it (expoxy or cyano) to the scored faces of the strut and then I use a "Flex File" to get the uniform edges. Use the front and rear edges of the metal strut as your guide to keep exposed. Then just round down your surfaces to make the oval cross section.

By the way even though Aeroclub "STRUTZ" are no longer available Contrail plastic strut stock is still available from Roll Models.com.
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2011 - 08:45 PM UTC
greetings mr lawson !

thanks for the tip, i'd also thought about coating them with mr surfacer and gently profiling that, it would be a shame not to use the etch stuts as they are alot stiffer than plastic struts.

many thanks paul
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2011 - 09:36 PM UTC
Once you roughen the struts a bit you could always super glue plastic stock to them and profile that....
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 04:39 AM UTC
Another option is two use fine brass tubing witha wire passing through so it sticks out a few mm on both ends and then flatten this in a vice . Sand to shape or file which ever works best for you . Now you have a strut with excellent strength with pins already in place .

Using the half round stock from Evergreen will also work and be less sanding in the end . You can get this in a wide range of sizes which will suit this need very well .

Terri
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 05:21 AM UTC
Just sand & apply several coats of Cyano, the type in the bottle with a brush is ideal, Do this over a period so each coat drys nice and hard and sand any anomolies out as you go.
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2011 - 03:43 AM UTC
I recall the instructions on their Dr.I kit also recommended using white glue progressively as Kieth recommends with cyano. This technique did not turn out as well as expected and, if I did it again, I would avoid it. The results are "O.K.'" in 1/48 but cyano or the addition of styrene sanded and shaped would be my next choice.

Cheers,
Lance.
 _GOTOTOP