_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Choosing the right Evergreen...
Roxter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rigas, Latvia
KitMaker: 268 posts
AeroScale: 245 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 07:55 PM UTC
Hi Guys!

I need the advice from the ones of you who have experience building WW1 inner cockpit tubular structure: what exactly Evergreen (or perhaps other brand) "Round Rod" to choose to scratchbuild the inner structures of WW1 a/c in 1/48 scale?

Thanks!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 09:57 PM UTC
You will find that you can use 0.010 - 0.040 thou easily in various cockpit structures and conduits. Evergreen or Plastruct. I tend to use brass rod for most of my interiors.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 02:15 AM UTC
I tend to use Plastruct.ranging from 5mm up to 8mm depending on the subject . Like stepehn has pointed out evergreen in .10 up to .40 will also do the trick as well . Brass rod is most excellent but I haven't used this for framing . Evergreen also has half round which is handy to have in some applications .

Plastruct also has hex rod in 1mm up 6mm which is great for making both heads and other details .

Terri
Roxter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rigas, Latvia
KitMaker: 268 posts
AeroScale: 245 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 02:36 AM UTC
Thank you both, Terri and Stephen!

Do we speak about inches or millimeters? Terri I guess you've mentioned 0,5 and 0,8 mm, right? Could you please guide me to the product description or product link? Do you shop online or at the local hobby store?

I've also noticed that modelers mostly tend to use plastic rods instead of brass pipes. I guess it's because it's easier.

Anyway, looking forward to learn more from both of you. Have a nice evening!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 07:51 AM UTC
0.010 thou means thousands of an inch. And also they come in square crossections too. Like 8 mil is about .003 thou. If memory serves. . .
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 10:26 AM UTC
and if you do not want to spend money on it:

Instead of evergreen I use the soft plastic from used (and cleaned ) butter boxes or similar products. Dirt cheap, and a good pair of scissors deliver any size you want.

A few meters of old telephone or network cable gives you fine metal wire.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 12:56 PM UTC
Hi Roxter

Yeah , I'm not to good when it comes to inches , all of my rulers and other measuring tools are in MM . I don't buy my sheet plastic and rod on line . We have local shops that carry both .

Most online shops should have it , Roll Models , Spruce Brothers , Great Models , Lucky Models , Hannants

Comes in all shapes and sizes , hollowed square , rod even in triangluar shapes . While worth having a peek at
http://www.evergreenscalemodels.com/Shapes.htm

and here for plastruct

http://www.plastruct.com/pages/IntlDealers.html

Terri
 _GOTOTOP