_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Rattel can / brush. Am I wasting my money?
Sammuel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 200 posts
AeroScale: 31 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 05:19 PM UTC
Group;

I started getting into aircraft after doing 1/700 ship models. I need a break and working on a 1/48 SBD Dauntless right now.

I love building and it does relax me after a very hard day of work. I don't have the desire to learn about an airbrush and failed pretty bad the with it the first one I had. I went back to rattle cans and brush painting. I do ok at it. I don't plan on entering any contest and I build just for me and I give my projects away as gifts.

I really want to build a big scale aircraft and I want it to be a long project. With the amount of detail in the large scale aircrafts, (Im looking at WW1 or WW2 type), am I wasting my money and time by not using an airbrush on such a kit?

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks
Sam
pigsty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
AeroScale: 640 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 09:37 PM UTC
If you want a long project, using a brush will only help! The drying time between coats will leave you plenty of space to relax and plan your next bit of work. It's how I work and I'm still no nearer to buying an airbrush.

I don't think the size of the kit need influence you too much. Careful application of paint can be achieved at any scale, even with a brush, and aerosols are available for some of the colours that are otherwise impossible to get right - white, for instance. Judicious weathering can hide a multitude of sins without needing to look agricultural. Above all, though, as you're doing this for your own amusement, you should do what makes you most comfortable.
Sammuel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 04:39 AM UTC
Sean;

Thank you sir for your input. I will post some photo's soon. I think I get pretty good results and I enjoy modeling. I'm just not into at this time, due to a heavy work load, to take on airbrushing.

I will in the future. It is a goal of mine to learn something new in this hobby as much as I can.

Thanks,
Sam
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 05:50 AM UTC
Sammuel.

I use a mix of both those mediums and airbrush myself and do most my detail work by brush. If you are contemplating a WWI build, check out Wingnut Wings kits in the early aviation section and remember Brush painting was quite the norm in that era, A lot of cammo was hard edged and brush painted, as were many of the unit and personal markings... Sometimes we try to get things looking too perfect.

Keith
Bink123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 414 posts
AeroScale: 364 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 07:29 AM UTC
Until recently I used only brushes and my #1 enemy was dust. #2 enemy was an uneven coats with streaks.

I use an airbrush now and I wouldn't go back. Less paint is applied, and consequently more detail shows through. Masking is a bit of a chore, though. I now also use acrylics 99% of the time.

I bought a $140.00 CDN Iwata revolution airbrush. It is easy to dis-assemble and clean. I was lucky to obtain an air-compressor which had been used for a pneumatic door opener. I then bought an inexpensive regulator and moisture filter. So, for less than $200 CDN (about 134 UK pounds), I am set. Perhaps with a bit of luck and resourcefulness you could do similar.

Once you sort out the air pressure to be used, and how much to thin the paint you'll be able to do very good work.

matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 869 posts
AeroScale: 862 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 08:09 AM UTC
I use an airbrush for almost everything, even for painting small parts. Sure learning to use an airbrush might seem to be a hassle at first but after you catch on to it you will wonder how you ever got by without one.
The best all around airbrush I have ever used is the Iwata Revolution BR, its a low cost airbrush that does most everything well including freehanded Luftwaffe paint jobs.

For a large scale kit you can easily get by without an airbrush by using a rattle can to paint it with, choose a subject with only one or two colors.

Matrixone
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 08:27 AM UTC
Frankly, if time is a concern, an airbrush will (in the end) significantly speed things up for you in certain cases.

Also, a basic airbrush setup is relatively cheap (compressor is the biggest hit, and you might already have one of those) and does not have a large learning curve. I found it quite fun learning to use one (mind you that was nearly 30 years ago and i was 13 years old, learning on a badger 200).

That said, there are still plenty of times i use a brush or spray can for painting - basically all in the interest of time. I use whatever is most expedient.

cockpits, wheel wells, and other small areas usually get the brush. primer coats and solid color finishes often get a spray can. Airbrushes just cannot be replaced for ease, speed, and quality of camo finishes though.

but in the end, it is a hobby and should be purely a function of what you enjoy, so do as you please.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 10:04 AM UTC
I bought an Iwata copy and a cheap compressor for much less than $130. The compressor is a bit large and is a bit noisy but I only have to run it a few times a week at the most. AIrbrush is great and has never given me any problems. I gave it its first Windex bath the other day and it is better than ever. I use 100% acrylics through the airbrush and find I use much less paint than when brushing.
ShawnM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
AeroScale: 510 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 01:43 AM UTC
I build primarily 1/32 aircraft, although lately I've done 1/144 to 1/48 as well.
I dont own an airbrush, I use rattle cans for my large areas and brush details, color modulation, etc by hand.
Works well for me.

However, an Airbrush would make life way easier.
As for a cost basis, I dunno....depends how many you build a year.
05Sultan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
AeroScale: 258 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 06:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I build primarily 1/32 aircraft, although lately I've done 1/144 to 1/48 as well.
I dont own an airbrush, I use rattle cans for my large areas and brush details, color modulation, etc by hand.
Works well for me.

However, an Airbrush would make life way easier.
As for a cost basis, I dunno....depends how many you build a year.

I'm with Shawn on this. 1/32 AC,1/35 armor,figures,dioramas. Works for me.
Do what works and is fun for you. If you don't like an AB you can sell or trade it away.
Sammuel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 09:11 AM UTC
Thank you all for the great feedback.

This is what I'm doing for now. I'm working (just started) a 1/48 SBD 3 Dauntless from Hisagawa. After that build I'm search for a 1/32 (simple / some scratch building is OK) to wet my teeth. I need some advice on this one. What kit would be good to start with?

After the first of the year, Im going for it again and trying some real basic airbrushing. Im not going to invest alot of money into it.......just enough to get started and practice.

Thank you,
Sam M
05Sultan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
AeroScale: 258 posts
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2011 - 10:32 AM UTC
If you mean 1/32 aircraft, then one of the older Revell WW2 props would probably fill the bill for you. You can find them on eBay for 15-25 USD or so plus shipping. Basic kits that look good with some TLC. cockpit detail can be enhanced as well as engine wiring harnesses and wheel well workings. Good selection of AM decals still out there.
Next price line up(30-50 USD+ship) offers newer molds w/much more detail.
Cheers!
 _GOTOTOP