_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Info on Supermarine Seafire XVII?
masked
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 04:31 AM UTC
Does anybody have any information on supermarine seafire xvii , did it carry and weapons when the wings were folded?, this is in reference to the new airfix kit . thanks.

robbie
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 07:45 AM UTC
Probaby not, for three reasons.
First, wings are folded for storage, and you don't store armed aircraft in the hangar.
Second, the fold was done manually, and I defy you to find a Sailor who's going to heave a wing folded (or unfolded) with a couple hundred extra kilos of weapons hung on it, not to mention the obvious safety hazard.
Third, the weight of the weapons would most likely damage the hinges; they're designed to hold only the weight of the wings as they move, not any extra loads.

All of this, however, is only a Scientific Wild-Ass Guess based on logical deduction. If anyone finds a photo of a Seafire carrying weapons on its folded wings (I couldn't, but I do not posess every last Seafire reference in the world) it will immediatley render this post invalid.
masked
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 12:48 AM UTC
jessie

re seafire thanks it all makes sense , i was thinking that way but wanted to check before I go folded or not, as you say ill just keep a check on here .
thks again

bob
 _GOTOTOP