Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Junkers Ju-88P-1 Reference
Beelzebub_Jones
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 7 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2011 - 09:34 PM UTC
Can anyone help with a good reference on the Ju 88P-1? I have found a few piccies on the 'net but I would really like to see some pics of the cockpit and of an aircraft in the white winter markings.

Cheers,

Beelzebub.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2011 - 02:10 AM UTC
Good luck on finding cockpit photos of P series - I have at least 6 Ju-88 references and the best they do with the Ps are a handful of photos between the lot of them (most of which can be found on the internet).

However, one does provide a profile drawing of the cockpit of a P-1, which looks like it was reproduced from some vintage manual. It is nearly identical the the A-4 cockpit in that drawing, minus the bombardier station (unclear about the associated third seat for that crew member, as it is not shown on the similar drawing for the A-4 either). It seems to infer belt fed rear guns instead of the small round magazines. The earlier variant that still has the front glass may we have the older magazine feed tho.

The P-1 and the C-6 supposedly share instrument panels, and I would guess the P-1 also has the armor plate covering the area where the nosecone meets the main body (but without the holes for the forward guns as the C-6 has).

And I have never actually seen a photo of an actual P-1 in winter garb either - just models and profile drawings.

The upshot is, no one can really tell you that you did it wrong in either case, unless they have some phenomenally obscure reference.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2011 - 02:52 AM UTC
Oh, and if you do find a real photo of a P-1 cockpit, please let me know!
Beelzebub_Jones
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 7 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2011 - 10:38 AM UTC
Thanks Vance. I have the verlinden Ju 88 cockpit set and I was assuming that I could just use it with minimal or no change. From what you've found out that seems to be the case.

BTW, which book had he cockpit drawing in it?
 _GOTOTOP