_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
Canadian Helos
Markus_W
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 18 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2011 - 03:50 AM UTC
I've got a few questions regarding Canadian Helos, specifically the CH-135. I'm planning on building examples of the CH-135, CH-146, The CH-147 (both the D and D) and perhaps the CH-136. I'm planning on doing this in both 1:48 and 1:35 as much as I can.

I know that the CH-135 is the UH-1N, but what I don't know is if there were any Canadian specific modifications made? We're the weapon mounts used? Are there any decals out there?

For the Chinooks: Are there any visible differences between the CH47C and CH47D? Were there any Canadian specific modifications? For the CH47Ds that served in Afghanistan: is there a detail set that'll provide the screens for the engine intakes?

I know this is a lot but is there anybody who can help me out?

Thanks,
Mark
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2011 - 06:07 AM UTC
Belcher Bits has the decals you want for all the variants you list in 1/48. For 1/35 try CanMilAir.

Eduard has a bunch of Chinook sets in your preferred scales.

Since the CUH-1N(CH135) was first created for Canada, all mods made to it for other operators were in effect non-Canadian
Weapons mounts were similar to those used on other Hueys when the were fitted, which seems to have been fairly rare.
Markus_W
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2011 - 07:10 AM UTC
Super info! Thanks.

I normally build (since I returned to modelling) armour, so this aircraft stuff is new. I have the full Big Ed set for the 1:35 Trumpeter CH-47D (huge kit and a little intimidating at the moment). CanMilAir's decals will be a great fit for that. The intakes are cylinders though, so is there a generic sort of mesh that can be bought?

Thanks
Mark
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2011 - 08:11 AM UTC
I have some very fine mesh that I salvaged from a house construction site trash bin. You could also try those permanent coffee filters, they're cheap enough compared to aftermarket stuff.
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
AeroScale: 168 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2011 - 02:35 PM UTC
Belcher Bits also used to do (and may still do) a resin conversion set to convert the Italeri or Heller (same kit) 1/48 UH-1N to a Griffon.

IIRC, different engine cowling, overhead winch, and a few other bits which were Canadian specific to the Griffon. As well, Eduard made a PE set for the same kit.

I have the Heller kit, with the BB set and Eduard PE. I was looking for some miniguns in 1/48 (without having to purchase an Academy UH-60 kit just for the guns). I thought Legend made a set, but they are 1/35. Would be cool to do an Afghanistan gunship, lots of pictures on Combat Camera of them.
Markus_W
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2011 - 04:16 PM UTC
It's my intention to make an example in each scale of Griffons in Afghanistan. I have a detail set coming from Eduard for the 1:72 Griffon I found a the local hobby shop and am going to order from Belcher Bits the 1:48 conversion. The big trick is going to be converting the 1:35 Dragon UH-1N to a Griffon! At least now I have a source for decals (thanks again Jessie).

Mark
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2011 - 11:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have the Heller kit, with the BB set and Eduard PE. I was looking for some miniguns in 1/48...

Armycast just announced 1/48th M134 miniguns as an upcoming release in Dec.
 _GOTOTOP