_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Review questions
Herchealer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,523 posts
AeroScale: 175 posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2011 - 11:57 AM UTC
I have been wondering for some time know why there seems to only be about 6-8 reviewers on this site. I know a ferw people have expressed and interest in reviewing but we never get offers.... Also it seem that for the most part they are all europe based. Is that just where all the samples go or what. I agree that the reviews on here are good. Just seems like there are not that many people doing them. With as few people on here that do reviews, is it the lack of interest from others to do them or is it a kind of "Frat" . My it just seems odd to me but with the same few people always doing them it is almost as if Aeroscale is supporting their habit. Is 6-10 different people do all the reviews, and we are getting tons of samples. Where do they go after the reviews? Granted as many reviews as the few do, how could they possibly do build reviews for them all. I know I have expressed interest before in doing reviews of modern stuff, and I also know a few other very talented modelers on here who do great stuff, yet they only get very few reviews and I know they have a interest......
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2011 - 02:07 PM UTC
Hi Jeremy I'll answer some of your questions as I do a few reviews when time allows, but let me assure you that 95% of all the reviews I have done are of items I have purchased from my own pocket. Which for the most part is why mine tend to be of 1/144 scale as that is my preferred scale followed by 1/48. When items are offered up for review I'll only except items that a) I have a use for and b) are in the right scale, as I feel that if someone else has a use for it then they should also be the right person to review it.

Try doing a review of something in your stash that's not been reviewed before (check the reviews) that's the way to start. Sometimes it's not easy trying to find enough to right about when looking over the subject to hand so have a practice.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2011 - 03:00 PM UTC
Everything I've reviewed to date has come from my own pocket. I am too new at the Editor game to have built up any relationship with producers, although I expect that to change with time. You'll note that as with Luciano, I tend to review those items I am interested in.

I second the notion for you to write a review about one of your kits. Once you get published, you gain access to the "contributor's" forum wherein samples get offered from time to time at the producers' whim (we have to depend upon their generosity for those, so they're often few and far between). I estimate that 75 - 80% of the kits reviewed in Aeroscale's history have been purchased by the reviewers. Please do step up and give it a try.

Besides which, writing reviews is addictive. Betcha can't stop with just one
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2011 - 06:12 PM UTC
From my 25 published reviews just two were provided by Kitmaker (both from Armorama), I'll be working on third this week for Aeroscale. All other samples provided by producers were based on my personal contacts. I think other reviewers have similar experiences. Why most samples are kept within Europe? Probably because of time. Most samples I got were from my own country so it would be ridiculous to ship them to US if it takes 2-3 weeks for delivery to US and 2-3 day within country. Probably other producers also try to save some time and have thier samples reviewed and published as fast as possible.
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2011 - 09:24 PM UTC
All the reviews Ive done barring one have been items I have bought myself for the stash and happened to notice there was no in the box or sometimes build reviews of them on the site already.

I agree with Jessie the majority of items/products reviewed tend to be bought by the person reviewing the product for themselves.

I dont do reviews very often for Aeroscale only when I get something that I think might be of interest as a review or I remeber to do a review if nothing is on the site already also I dont get too much time to write a review as well as build, moderate and then work, house, horse and writing reviews/features for magazines ontop of that as well, so my reviews are sparodic but if I have something I think deserves a review thats not had one I will sit down and work on a review. Thats how I got into reviewing on here I just sat down wrote out the review and submitted it on the review page.

I agree with the others have a look through the reviews area see if there is something you have in your stash that has not had either an in-box review or build review and work on one
Herchealer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 12:35 AM UTC
I have written reviews before. I have only really written for Armorama though. I did not realize that perhaps Aeroscale does not get as many samples as Armorama gets during the course of a month. I have read several of the reviews you all have written, and yes each one of you guys and gals do stick to a a particular genre. I actually thought more stuff came to the Aeroscale mailbox, or maybe you guys dont see them as well???

Herky
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 12:52 AM UTC
I have done 5 reviews and contributed 3 features; Only one review was based on a sample provided by kitmaker.

I am also interested in reviewing modern stuff, if not too often. Unfortunately, the owner of the site is seeking primarily US based reviewers to reduce shipping costs.

Hence, I only review when I happen to buy something that is not already reviewed before.

As I don't want a stash of kits that I am not interested to build, I would not change my habits too much if more "sponsored" kits would become available for review.

On the other hand, I am getting very well paid for the work I am putting in because several other people also voluntarily write reviews and this makes that I always find, free of charge, the review I need on this site.

russamotto
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
AeroScale: 375 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 03:23 AM UTC
I've purchased a fair amount of kits on my own for review here. For the samples I have received, I sort of just stuck my big fat head in the door and offered or asked to do them. A couple of them were sent to me for build reviews after the in box had already been done. I have started to focus on build reviews because of issues I have had with my own in box reviews, where my opinion of the kit was altered by various build issues.
Herchealer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 07:36 AM UTC
So then where does all the stuff go that Aeroscale gets? I see alot of daily posts in the "Mail thread" do people buy that much stuff everyday..... just seems like people (not you guys) may not be sharing...

robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 09:14 AM UTC
Rowan, lead editor of Aeroscale, has done a massive amount of work writing reviews- 604 of them and counting. A mind-bogling dedication to this site over the years. Thousands of hours of work, when you include editing other people's submissions.

He is based in the UK, so maybe reviewers are more likely to get samples if they are in Europe, but then if Jim gets samples, he is more likely to send them to a reviewer in the US- it doesn't make sense to pay 50% or more of the cost of an item to send it a long distance. I think it is slightly offensive to imply that the samples only go to an old boys network, or that something shady is happening to the review samples.

Not a great percentage of the items in the postman thread are Aeroscale review samples- you may have seen some of Steffen's posts about samples in the thread, but they are samples for IPMS Deutschland. Very few of the big names supply samples- I don't think Revell, Italeri, Tamiya, Hasegawa or Airfix have ever supplied samples to this site? Eduard and Dragon and the biggest kit suppliers who give samples, I would guess. Then the rest are mainly add-on sets, which reviewers would have to buy kits for to write build reviews.

I personally don't see sample kits as enough reward to write reviews- I have to have an interest in the subject, as the effort it takes to write a review is far greater than the reward of a free kit. Most modellers, that post online at least, have huge stashes of unbuilt kits. Time to write eats into building time, which for some of us is short enough as it is.

I think the reason there are so few reviewers here is because it is a serious time and effort commitment. It doesn't help that there have been threads complaining if reviews do not compare with plans, research every possible inaccuracy, etc.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 09:21 AM UTC
Hi Jeremy

You seem to be missing the point which others have made so well - the standard way into reviewing samples is to prove yourself as a reviewer of the kits which you've purchased yourself. These can be drawn from your Stash to fill gaps you've found in our database, or new releases - not every manufacturer sends samples, and in those cases we rely on what we buy ourselves. As a case in point - in the next batch of reviews I'm preparing, over half the items are courtesy of my own wallet.

Once you've submitted a Review or Feature for Aeroscale, you'll have access to the Contributor's Forum, where samples are regularly offered for review. As has been noted earlier, Staff_Jim is actively seeking US-based reviewers, particularly for modern jets etc. (Note: you have to have contributed within the previous twelve months to continue to have access to the forum.)

I can't speak for Jim, but I use the Reviews submitted by our members as a form of "talent spotting" - both for writing ability, and as a sign of commitment to the site.

It's sad to observe that Aeroscale's success as a review-site in some ways seems to have acted as a deterrent to our members submitting their own reviews. That's a real shame, because I always want to encourage new writers. When I began back in the dim and distant days when we were the Aircraft section of the original multi-genre Armorama, there basically were no "Staff Reviewers", and samples were just a pipe dream - so we just took it for granted that if we wanted a Reviews Section, we'd better start writing...

All the best

Rowan
Removed by original poster on 11/22/11 - 21:35:24 (GMT).
Herchealer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 09:40 AM UTC
I know, but everyone says I have to prove myself? I have done reviews. As for talent spotting, I did the Dragon M1A2 SEP 25000+ views with 32 plus helpful checks. I know you guys buy alot, But once a person has submitted reviews, why can he only have access for a year? and then only the the site he reviewed for? I mean it is just frustrating sometimes, I have offered my help back when it was asked in a post for help reviewing certain thing things and I didnt get offered anything. I mean for example.... the SAM Special Ops book. I have been in Special Operations for 16 years! I fly everyday on the MC-130P shadow. I work with all those guys.... Does that not justify for accuracy??? Just I may not have been the first to volunteer to do it, but may I have been the most qualified???
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 10:25 AM UTC
Hi Jeremy

So write us something. You talk as though there's some sort of club which "the ole boys" are trying to exclude you from, when just the opposite is true - believe me, we'd love to have you (and as many new authors as possible) aboard - especially someone with the kind of experience you can bring to the subject!

Quoted Text

...everyone says I have to prove myself? I have done reviews. As for talent spotting, I did the Dragon M1A2 SEP 25000+ views with 32 plus helpful checks.

I'm sorry if you took my comments personally. I was trying to clarify the situation for newcomers to our site. I've read what you wrote for Armorama two years ago and would have no problem with asking you to review something for us.

Quoted Text

... once a person has submitted reviews, why can he only have access for a year? and then only the the site he reviewed for? I mean it is just frustrating sometimes...

That's something you'd have to ask Staff_Jim about, but I assume it's meant as a "reward" to those who've demonstrated continuing commitment. But I agree - it'd be good for it to apply right across Kitmaker.

Quoted Text

I have offered my help back when it was asked in a post for help reviewing certain thing things and I didn't get offered anything...

I think that was probably a post by Staff_Jim, because you've never asked me personally if you can review something - but as I say, I'd have no issue.

All the best

Rowan
Herchealer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 12:04 PM UTC
I can see the reward aspect you speak of. I will see what I can dig up as to review.

Maybe I need one of those beers you toast. English beer is SO much better than the crap in America. Do they still sell Murphy's and Caffery's there?

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 11:42 PM UTC
Hi again

Murphy's and Caffrey's are both really Irish, rather than English. Both nice pints - I used to prefer Murphy's to Guinness (but go to the Blue Posts at the top of Berwick Street market if you're ever in London for a REALLY good pint of Guinness. ).

Try a drop of Badger's Tanglefoot for an English beer with a nice kick to it.

All the best

Rowan
Herchealer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 03:04 AM UTC
I did not know they were Irish, Ill have to do that next time i pass through Mildenhall
 _GOTOTOP