_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Web Site Woes
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 05:41 AM UTC
I am having a hard time with our Site; hard to get on, extremely slow, and often get "dropped". I saw a notice a couple of days back that there were some difficulties (no user data etc at the bottom and presently it is the same.)
My I'net service checks out OK and other sites seem normal however I have considered a new Desktop as this one is getting old and shakey at times.
Any others having problems?? My tiny little world is even smaller without the joys of Aeroscale and I need to get this back on the rails.
Look forward to info, observations.
Cheers All,
Lance
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 06:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am having a hard time with our Site; hard to get on, extremely slow, and often get "dropped". I saw a notice a couple of days back that there were some difficulties (no user data etc at the bottom and presently it is the same.)
My I'net service checks out OK and other sites seem normal however I have considered a new Desktop as this one is getting old and shakey at times. Any others having problems?? My tiny little world is even smaller without the joys of Aeroscale and I need to get this back on the rails.
Look forward to info, observations.
Cheers All,
Lance

You are not alone Lance, But the answer is in the works. The site usually has hundreds of people looking in. That and being graphics heavy tends to eat up bandwidth. Thus the management has been prepping a newer template / system that can handle the larger amount of usage. In short they're working on it.. Aftr some time I'll move this to the website feedback forum.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
AeroScale: 510 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 10:22 AM UTC
Yes performance is up and down lately. Part of the issue is that traffic tends to surge in the Winter months (for us northern hemisphere types). So that causes issues on its own. However we are having other issue just related to age and so on.

We are working on it both in major code re-writes and in small fixes here and there. I miss the user info for example but if it means less database overhead than at least for now that's a better trade-off.

Thanks for your patience.

Jim
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 02:09 PM UTC
Stephen/Jim,
Thanks for the prompt replies; I'll rest easy and await the fixes.
It's truly amazing how much this site has crept into my everyday routine, especially after my (FINALLY!!!) retirement only 10 days ago.
I've said it so many times already, but my compliments on a truly great site and wonderful place to visit; due in no small measure to such folks as you on staff who "toil and trouble" to make it what it is.

Cheers,
Lance
 _GOTOTOP