_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
metallic paint
confused
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 23 posts
AeroScale: 17 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 01:17 PM UTC
I learned the hard way about 7 years ago, don't try to paint another colour over metallic paint as it becomes a horrible gluggy mess. I was using enamels at the time. Does this apply to acrylics as well?

I wanted to use the crystallised salt method to weather seaplanes, flying boats and Japanese aircraft with their dreadful paintwork. I can't weather a model, worth a damn, any other way.

If I applied a base coat of metallic acryllic first, coated it with Future/Klear, let it dry, sprinkled the salt over water droplets on the model, and then spray the top coat(s) after the salt crystallised, would that work? Or is that one step too many using acrylics?
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 06:31 PM UTC
It can't hurt at all. I've brush painted acryllics over enamels in the past. You have to make sure the enamel is completely cured first. A coat of Future in between would be just another protection.
vertigo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 388 posts
AeroScale: 225 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 08:43 PM UTC

The black nose stripe and red nosecone in the picture above are both acrylics painted over a metallic acrylic. I didn't put down any gloss varnish over the metallic before I painted over it and all this was done by brush.

Generally, given the proper time to dry, you shouldn't have any problems painting acrylics over one another. I can't say how an enamel and acrylics paint coat would interact as though.

Your method for salt weathering sounds like it should work but it might be an idea to test it out on some old kit or cardboard just to be sure.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 10:47 PM UTC
I haven't had a problem with enamels, acrylics or lacquer based paints. if you see Here I explained how to do the salt weathering technique over Alclad II on a recent build.
 _GOTOTOP