_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Seminar's 1:48 AH-1G Cobra
ProjectPhoenix
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 32 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2002 - 05:30 PM UTC
Hi there, has anyone out there seen/assembled this kit and if so what did you think of it? Also I have noticed a disturbing lack 1:48 Vietnam era helicopter kits out there, anyone know why? I should point out that the above kit is the 1:48 AH-1G on the market at the moment.

Phil
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2002 - 07:34 PM UTC
I have a Fujimi one (AH-1G Black Bunny #31004) and several long OOP Aurora AH-1Gs in 1/48 scale. I have never heard of the Seminar kit, any good? Need and old Aurora kit so you can appreciate the newer one you have?
Phantom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
AeroScale: 52 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2002 - 11:01 PM UTC
I've never heard of the Seminar kit either. I also have the Fujimi kit, and boy was that a big disappointment - there is practically no cockpit detail, and the weapons are bare bone basic.

I've noticed the lack of 'Nam choppers as well, odd considering the medias emphasis on them. That's changing a little bit with the recent 1:35 scale releases, but if you don't want to build in that scale, you're out of luck.

In 1:48 Monograms Huey Hog is halfway between a B and a C - and Cobra Company makes a resin set to correct it to a C. Making it a B would involve changing the rotors (I think a standard slick Huey's would do), and ditching the 40mm grenade launcher. For the standard Huey slick, there are a couple of options out there - I think the one's I've got at home are old ESCI UH-1H Rescue birds. For a Loach, I have a Testors MD-500, and a conversion kit from Cobra Company (OOP I believe). I have a Heller Jet Ranger to represent an OH-58 Kiowa. You can get there, but it takes a lot of scrounging and conversion work.

Let us know what your first impression of the kit is, I would love to find a decent AH-1G.

-Paul
ProjectPhoenix
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 06:02 AM UTC
An update. I have just ordered two of the Seminar Cobras from Hannants and I'm eagerly awaiting their arrival. When I do get them I'll write a 'just out of the box' review for y'all. In case you're wondering "why buy two when you don't know what they're like?" the answer is that good or bad I need two 1:48 AH-1G's for a project I'm working on. More details on that as and when I can.

Phil
ProjectPhoenix
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 02:49 AM UTC
Oh the irony, just as I order them they go oop. DAMN!
However all was not lost. The very nice lady at Hannants put me in touch with a second hand kit dealer (King Kit -00441952 405 020) who had two fujimi cobra's the black bunny one and a more plain decal option for £8.99 and £7.99 respectively. OUTSTANDING!! Suffice it to say that within an hour a cheque was winging its way to him.

Phil
Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 252 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 12:49 PM UTC
Anyone know who makes a 1/32 or a 1/35 scale AH-1G these days?Im looking for a couple of the old Monogram 1/48 ones but Im still looking.My old man use to fly Snakes for roughly 22 years and I really want to make his ol' bird that he had in Korea.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 07:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Anyone know who makes a 1/32 or a 1/35 scale AH-1G these days?Im looking for a couple of the old Monogram 1/48 ones but Im still looking.My old man use to fly Snakes for roughly 22 years and I really want to make his ol' bird that he had in Korea.

I believe Revell of Germany re-released the old Revell 1/32 AH-1G a couple of years ago.
 _GOTOTOP