_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Film of the 94th Aero Sqn in France
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 07:54 PM UTC
Silent film 94th Aero.

"Silent film covers most activities of the US Army’s second air-combat squadron, the 94th Aero Squadron, informally known as the Hat-in-the-Ring Squadron. Featured many shots of Eddie Rickenbacker who became America’s most celebrated aviator until Charles Lindburgh. The men of the 94th flew rudimentary aircraft, sometimes without weaponry, alongside French pilots. The 94th periodically faced Germany’s legendary Flying Circus, led by the Red Baron, Manfred von Richthofen, until von Richthofen’s death in combat. On April 29, 1918, Rickenbacker shot down his first plane. During WWI, Rickenbacker and the other pilots developed important aviation principles that would serve them in civil aviation and in WWII combat. Respect for him grew as his successes mounted. Rickenbacker was awarded the French Croix de Guerre in May 1918, for shooting down five German airplanes. On September 24, 1918, now a captain, he was named commander of the squadron, and on the following day, he shot down two more German planes, for which he was belatedly awarded the Medal of Honor in 1931 . Rickenbacker’s 26 victories constituted an American record that stood until World War II."

AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 08:32 PM UTC
Mr Lawson I just watched that vid 3 times in a row, it is just amazing. Thanks for posting the link sir.

Cheers, D
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 01:50 AM UTC
Fascinating; Eddie's not the only one easily recognised. A rare find for sure.

Cheers,
Lance
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 11:24 AM UTC
I agree, really neat to watch!! Makes me want to build some WWI subjects! Now if I can just do that darn rigging!! Russell
 _GOTOTOP