_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
F-4 Phantom II model display in collections
Wolf-Leader
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
AeroScale: 55 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 11:10 AM UTC
I would like to get your opinions please on a couple of ideas I have to present my collection of F-4 Phantoms(10 planes).
Now I have a couple of ideas I want to throw at you guys and you can give me some ideas as well. It will greatly be appreciated!!!
Ok my first idea is this:
1.Have each one of the f-4's on their own pedestal with a title plate,like what the figure guys do with their figures.

2.Have the F-4's in a circle noses pointing outward with each of the title plates in front of each plane. In the middle of this circle will be Spooky the Phantom II mascot or logo.

3.Have all the F-4's in a row like on a tarmac with the title plates in front of each Phantom.

Any other ideas will be helpful of course!
Thank you for your help

Buckeye198
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 596 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 02:36 PM UTC
What a collection...10 Phantoms! I am jealous! I guess it would depend on your display area and budget. Like for me, I'm just using old bookcases so I don't have a lot of room for big displays. Therefore, I just display each one model individually. I think that circle display could be really slick, but that would be a lot of space to display, not to mention a lot of dead space from the edge of the circle to the corners of the display case (assuming you have a big display case, that is). If you can't do the circle-display justice, then I'd stick with the tarmac (check this link for ideas of how to make tarmac sections). I personally really like the look of active displays, and putting the Phantoms in their element could add a lot of life to them all. Ooh especially if you can add some ground crews, pilot/navigator figures getting into or out of their fighters, discussing their flights, etc. I know a lot of people like "what-if" models, but I think it's cooler to have "what-if" displays, like where a 1958 Air Force testpilot would be chatting with Duke Cunningham and Willy Driscoll in 1972 next to their respective birds. Then again, maybe I'm the only one who gets a kick out of that stuff...good luck with it all and be sure to post pictures of the results!
Wolf-Leader
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
AeroScale: 55 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011 - 12:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What a collection...10 Phantoms! I am jealous! I guess it would depend on your display area and budget. Like for me, I'm just using old bookcases so I don't have a lot of room for big displays. Therefore, I just display each one model individually. I think that circle display could be really slick, but that would be a lot of space to display, not to mention a lot of dead space from the edge of the circle to the corners of the display case (assuming you have a big display case, that is). If you can't do the circle-display justice, then I'd stick with the tarmac (check this link for ideas of how to make tarmac sections). I personally really like the look of active displays, and putting the Phantoms in their element could add a lot of life to them all. Ooh especially if you can add some ground crews, pilot/navigator figures getting into or out of their fighters, discussing their flights, etc. I know a lot of people like "what-if" models, but I think it's cooler to have "what-if" displays, like where a 1958 Air Force testpilot would be chatting with Duke Cunningham and Willy Driscoll in 1972 next to their respective birds. Then again, maybe I'm the only one who gets a kick out of that stuff...good luck with it all and be sure to post pictures of the results!

Hey thanks for the info and I'm very sorry to everyone about my Phantoms II, I forgot to tell you that my Phantom II's are all 1/160 and 1/200 scale!
Buckeye198
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 596 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011 - 04:35 AM UTC
Those are very small planes! Again, best of luck with it all but you'll probably have an easier time with the circle idea now that you mention their size!
 _GOTOTOP