_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Probably a stupid question
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2011 - 11:07 PM UTC
Hi all this is probably a really daft question.

Is there a minimum accepted vertical wing spacing for a biplane between lower and upper wing for lift/turbulence or whatever other technical reasoning?

It might seem an odd question but I'm planning/building a DII Albatros for the *what if* campaign and dont wish to make a real basic blunder. IE:- I want to make it at least feasably possible that my creation could fly.

It's also kinda nice to not worry about getting things dead on, my design I say where things go/

Ta in advance. Oh and HAPPY NEW YEAR all

AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2011 - 11:26 PM UTC
G'day Keith. I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you, but you have made a serious last-minute dash for my favourite thread title for 2011 (even though here in the Great Southern Land we are already 23 hours into 2012).

Cheers, and Happy New Year, D
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2012 - 07:11 AM UTC
I think it is a ratio based on the horse power, wing length and overall weight.

Here is a discussion on the subject.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2012 - 07:21 AM UTC
EEK! TY Stephen, that pretty much answers my question, I imagined there would be some form of interference with lift between both wings. My DII evolution might not be as radical as first envisioned then

Thanks for the link, Far more info than I needed but fascinating.

Keith
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2012 - 07:27 AM UTC
Reminds me of the time I was taking Biblical Greek as a summer course. At one point about 3 weeks into the course. Prof. Gaede called on me to answer a question on a Greek past participle and the only thing I could muster was ". . .gak. . ." His response was to give the class a 10 minute break in the summer sun.
Rotebaron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jalisco, Mexico
KitMaker: 182 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2012 - 04:31 AM UTC
an Albatros that could fly???!!! coooool!!!! I have an DV from hobby lobby, any help do not doubt to ask
Jcoatney
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 28 posts
AeroScale: 28 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2012 - 06:16 AM UTC
I've read somewhere that the roland C.II had issues because of that. Something about the space between the wings needing to be wider than the chord. The high preassue from above and low pressure from below merge to create a stall between the wings.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2012 - 09:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've read somewhere that the roland C.II had issues because of that. Something about the space between the wings needing to be wider than the chord. The high preassue from above and low pressure from below merge to create a stall between the wings.

basically you want to avoid the "ground effect" type of lift from the top wing, which will spoil the lower wings lift.

_GOTOTOP