_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Help Colorblind new guy pick the right paints
sfcacid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 15 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2012 - 01:08 AM UTC
Hello there everyone . I've been around the site for a while (mostly on the armor side ) and really enjoy it and how helpfull people can be. So here goes my first post . And if this is in the wrong section then my bad and please do move it .

I plan to make a decent size order pretty soon and would like to get a good chunk of the right colors I would need for current and future kits. I currently use Valejo Model Air and a few Model Color and Model Master Acryl and plan on expanding to include Alclad2 as well. I do have a good amount of colors already in MMA, but would like to have them in the Model Air variety if available.

Right then. Pretty much I could use some help picking out the right colors I need for these subjects and any other colors that are recommended to have on hand.

Modern (~80's-present) USN and USAF ( f-14,15,16,18,22, etc)
50's-60's USAF and USN (most were NMF right?)
70's/Vietnam USAF and USN (Phantoms Cosairs Crusaders the like)
Modern Western Euro jets (mostly the Eurofigther/typhoon and a few others)

WW2
USN and USAF of all sorts
RAF colors (those kind of confuse me a tad >< )
Luftwaffe ( I pretty much have that covered minus a few less used colors here and there to get/switch over)
IJN/IJA (some Tamiya kits are really cheap (my favorite kind) and I kind of have a thing for float planes ) and seem pretty cool and would make interesting additions to the stash to mix things up)

That's pretty much my subject areas (more or less everything haha )

Would absolutely LOVE any help at all figuring out the right colors and names for everything. FS numbers or RLM or other easy to use systems work great too that I can look up and match to my prefered paint brands if need be. I tend to find it easier when I have an exact color/name/code/etc for specific areas/parts. Vague names like dark gray don't really help when I can't tell what is too light or dark or etc. Being color blind can REALLY be a pain in the butt...

To add I'm also not going after making the perfect model with perfect paint schemes etc. I tend to be rather ham fisted and heavy handing with the sprue cutter and xacto and super glue/plastic cement heh. Still have TONS to learn as I'm still pretty new to the hobby

Ok I realised I was just a touch long winded there .I hope all that jumble of mess and questions makes some sense and you fine folks will be able to help .

If you need me to clear anything up please let me know and Ill try to retranslate my gibberish to English ha.

Thanks again for any help you cn provide
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2012 - 03:32 AM UTC
IPMS Stockholm keeps colour chart reference pages here and here.

You will find paints from all major manufacturers matched to air force/army, country, time period and FS595. I use these charts as a one-stop shop to identify paint colours from instructions that don't say what they are (I'm looking at you, Revell Germany and Tamiya) and when I need to see whether I can get a stock colour or I'll have to mix it up.
sfcacid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 15 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2012 - 01:23 PM UTC
Thanks that does help a good amount in saying what is for what. But it seems like there are massive holes/gaps in giving you a paint to use. And the ones that are there are humbrol or some tamiya. Even the humbrol paints are mostly all confusing formulas etc.

Do you know of any other sources? I do use the paint converter site quite a lot and I love that thing.

I don't mind branching out to other paint brands for a few colors etc, but I'd like to stick to Model Master Acyrl and Model Air as much as I can. Model Color is also good, though with the few paints I have at the moment I'm not the greatest mad scientist when it comes to thinning heh.

Thanks again for the help
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2012 - 02:05 PM UTC
Here's a Model Master Acryl chart which shows the range available when the chart was made. Many of the paints are already matched to RLM or FS595 colours.

Valejo offers their colour chart here There's a link on the left which opens their RLM colours. They don't seem to have anything like it for FS595

Here's the Ultimate Model Paint Conversion Chart. I haven't used it, so I can't say much about it.
 _GOTOTOP