Backdating Hurricane IIc to Mk 1
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2012 - 09:17 AM UTC
Hi All
Hope you all had a great Christmas and Santa bought you heaps of modelling gifts.Also hope 2012 is going to be kind to you all.

I'm wanting to produce a Mk 1 Hurricane (1/72nd) and don't wish to use the old Airfix kit.
Therefore figured backdating either Academys or Revells Mk IIc. Is it a case of just leaving off the cannons or is there more that would need to be scratch built.

Please let me know.

Chris
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2012 - 09:44 AM UTC
The Hurricane I used the Merlin II, which was shorter than the Merlin XX used by the Mk II. This resulted in the Mk I's nose being noticeably shorter. The Mk II also had a different, more elongated and pointed spinner, and a large oil collector ring behind the airscrew that was not fitted to the Mk I. The Mk I's tailwheel didn't have the oleo scissor, The propeller was different, and the radiator housing was subtly rounder.

The wing ammunition access panels were substantially different as well.

Here's a link to Hurricane drawings. You'll be able to compare the various marks and see the differences.

You may wish to try and find the Hasegawa Mk I that was released about 14 years or so ago. Failing that, here's an article describing the conversion you're contemplating.
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2012 - 12:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Mk II also had a different, more elongated and pointed spinner, and a large oil collector ring behind the airscrew that was not fitted to the Mk I.

Nope. The Rotol long-chord spinner was specifically developed for the Hurricane and was fitted to later production Hurricane Mk Is onwards.
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2012 - 02:39 AM UTC
The Mark I fuselage is 4" (1.4mm in 1/72) shorter than that of the Mk.II, and it starts from the panel line immediately under the front of the windshield. This makes the front portion of the wingroot fairing shorter, as well, and reshaping it is not easy.
Edgar
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 - 07:32 PM UTC
Thanks for the replies guys
Shortening the nose might be a bit beyond my limited skills.
My have to reconsider buying the airfix kit.

Chris
 _GOTOTOP