_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Fokker Dr.I Props
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2012 - 05:44 AM UTC
I have a Build Thread going on the Roden 1/32 Dr.I which I am finishing as von Richthofen's 152/17. My question concerns the not common prop seen in the popular photo of the aircraft; it is curved in shape as opposed to the standard Xial prop on the vast majority of Dr.I types.The kit provides both the Xial and curved prop with no mention of options in the instructions. The Airpower Ace Profile #3 book states the prop is " a Heine or captured British one." Paul Leaman's book on the Fokker Dr.I states that all were outfitted with Xial props however there were other suppliers, Heine and Lorenzen.
Specifically, did the Heine Props have a logo; I have dozens of spare Xial prop logos in the decal stash but have never seen any Heine logos? I'll be using the curved version without a logo if necessary however my acute AMS begs a solution if anyone has an answer.
Info, informed speculation, or even therapeutic advice most welcome!
Cheers,
Lance
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2012 - 06:23 AM UTC
The decal logos were used on propellers, but after late 1917 propeller manfacturers began to to brand their logos or simply include the name of the company in the branded text data at the base of the paddle near the hub.

Here is a collection of known Fok. Dr.I airframes.
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2012 - 08:13 AM UTC
Thanks Stephen,
The photo I referred to is the second in the file for 152/17 in the link you supplied. From your comments I figure having no prop logo if I install the curved prop is not incorrect so I'll go that route and be able to sleep at night.
I guess my wife may have a point when she occasionally says I "may need help"!

Thanks again,
Lance
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2012 - 11:01 AM UTC
Just stumbled across another bit of info on this topic. Ian Stair's 1/48th Scale Drawings in Windsock's Fokker Dr.I Special (Top Page 30) illustrates an "Alternative Garuda airscrew", never heard of that one prior to this........
That takes it to Axial as the main prop and now three alternatives not counting captured Brit airscrews sometimes retro-fitted.
I'm in AMS Heaven!
Cheers,
Lance
 _GOTOTOP