Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 01:24 AM UTC
Hi there

I bought Hasegawa's 1/48 Hurricane Mk.IID this morning and one of the subjects on the decal sheet is BP188, JV-Z of No. 6 squadron.

My only reference picture of this aircraft seems to show a name or motto under the cockpit on the left-hand side... too faint to make out, and it isn't on the kit decal sheet.

Does anybody know what this marking was? The dark camouflage on the nose and shiny Z are also noteworthy.

Any help would be great.

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 02:31 AM UTC
Sorry mate, can't help here I only have a profile of this IID and it doesn't show any markings under the cockpit.
Mal
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 01:01 PM UTC
The inscription under the cockpit is that of those who donated funds or aircraft, I have some information on these in my references, I'll find them for you and get back, with what I find.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 07:02 AM UTC
Hi Rob

Any info would be brilliant! :-)

I found another photo today during my lunch-break. There's definitely something written there... but I still couldn't read it!

Any ideas on the dark nose? Fresh paint... or a completely different colour? All the aircraft in the picture show some darker paintwork, so I'm a bit mystified...

All the best

Rowan
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 11:20 PM UTC
about the difference in colors : you must also that the nose is metal and the rear is fabric ! So paint might react and weather diferently on both parts !
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 08:50 AM UTC
Hi penpen :-)

Very true! If that's the cause, it's a lot more extreme than I'd have ever imagined...

I often try to show a subtle distinction between metal and fabric covered surfaces... but maybe the desert sun really bleached the Dark-Earth on the fabric areas...

I'll have to check more references - it's great when a "simple" subject highlights so many unknowns!

All the best

Rowan
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 01:44 AM UTC
Hi Rowan,
As promised in regard to your request with the Hawker Hurricane II, page 56 of the SAM Publications 'Comprehensive guide for the Modeller' shows BP 188 JV Z, the Z is red, there is no reference in this book of the inscription under the cockpit. The photograph would indicate a fresh coat of paint on the cowling. I remember reading in a magazine about the aircraft that were donated or funds were donated, as the accompaning photo showed the donour and the aircraft with her family crest and details. I'm still looking for this article.
I hope I have helped in some way.
Regards.
Rob.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 07:27 AM UTC
Cheers Rob

Any extra info would be great. :-)

I saw the SAM colour profile in the same bookshop where I found the second photo that clearly (but not clearly enough... )shows that there's definitely something written there.

It's proof yet again that we should never trust artwork alone. Always try to find a photo of a particular subject. :-)

Thanks again

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 09:21 AM UTC
Hi again

Wow! I love the Internet! :-)

I contacted the 6 Sqn Association and they're posting their members for information... so there's always the chance that we'll hear from the guys that actually painted this a/c...

I'll keep everyone posted with developments.

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP