_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
retractable landing gear ?
epshifty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 376 posts
AeroScale: 348 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 - 05:38 AM UTC
Hi all . I have an idea on how to build a kit with retractable landing gear but before i get started on it i was wondering has it ever been done before ? has anyone ever seen a kit with it ? i think it would be an awesome addition to a model ..
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 - 05:49 AM UTC
It's been done. It usually renders the landing gear too fragile to support the model due to the tiny hinges needed unless it's fabricated from metal rather than plastic. You'd also need a good stand.

Monogram kits from the 1960s used to have retractable gear and other movable parts, at the cost of making the model look like a toy.
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 - 09:55 AM UTC
It must have been 1976, I built a P-40E Kittyhawk with Flying Tiger markings, and turned in a paper about Gen. Cheneault for an inter-curicular semester project.
That had fully functional swiveling, retracting LG. it had knees that locked and stood up on its own. lots of other complicated bits as well. Dont remember the brand. It was big, 1/32 I guess.
In smaller scales, Jessy is certainly right about need for metal.
will you be sharing your trials with us?

epshifty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 376 posts
AeroScale: 348 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 - 10:33 AM UTC
hmmm sounds interesting im just drawing up some plans for it at the moment im looking at doing it to a 1/32 P51 but ill certainly keep you posted thanks for the replies
 _GOTOTOP