_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Pre-shading with a Sharpie?
chrism
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 160 posts
AeroScale: 156 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 - 06:56 AM UTC
Has anyone had success or experience with pre-shading a/c panel lines with a permanent marker?
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 - 08:07 AM UTC
As an experiment I tried it…once. What happens is that the ink from the pen keeps bleeding through back up the paint. Now I only use acrylics and not sure if this would happen using enamels.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
epshifty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 376 posts
AeroScale: 348 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 - 08:07 AM UTC
Hey dude . im not sure if this helps but i use artists pencils for pre shading i just tried it a while ago and found the results are really good . if you use a very soft lead pencil you will get a nice dark line and you can then use your finger to lightly smudge the line to give a more blended effect . Once the model has been painted the end result really is quite nice . Also you can use different grades of pencil depending on the age of the aircraft you are modeling ie for an old warbird like a Mustang or spitfire i would use a 5B or 6B pencil to get a nice deep dark line where as for a more modern jet like an F15 i would use a B or 2B so the line isnt so dark . Give it a try its really quite good .. As for marker pens i havent tried them myself as any mistakes could be a problem to remove .. Hope this helps and happy modelling
james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 1,368 posts
AeroScale: 377 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 09:18 PM UTC
Have a look here...
http://www.ratomodeling.com/articles/pre_shading1/
 _GOTOTOP