_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Before I start building the Eduard D.VII?
TimTam27
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 222 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2012 - 03:51 AM UTC
Hi.

I am about to embark on building my first WWI subject since I was a youngster and would like some advice about the Eduard Fokker D.VII (OAW).

I read in an old thread that the kit as supplied is incorrect for Stark's aircraft. A disappointment as that was the scheme I was wanting to do but hey, that's life. My question then is, is the kit correct for any of the other schemes provided?

As an AMS sufferer I cannot leave the thin upper wing as it is and saw Stephen T Lawsons review explaining how the wing can be improved.

Quoted Text

For those of you with AMS - a strip of 20 thou strip could be added between the cabane attachment points out to the leading edge mating surfaces of the top wing. It helps the Eduard wing match the wing thickness shown in Anthology 3. Otherwise the wing will be too thin seen from the front. Even with this easy mod, it's still not as deep as the Roden wing, but that may item be on the too thick side.

My reading comprehension isn't all that it could be so I am not exactly clear on what needs to be done. When I first (very briefly) looked at this I thought I would just have to sandwich a twenty-thou strip between the leading edges of the two wing halves to get the greater thickness but it sounds like there is more to it than that.
I am now thinking that the twenty-thou strip is glued to the leading edge solely in the area between the cabane struts. Assuming that the wingtips are glued normally this would leave a thin wedge-shaped gap along most of the leading edge which would then have to be filled.
Is this a correct summation?

Also , as it will need correct 4-colour lozenge I was intending ordering some of the Microsculpt product. Is this is still available?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers,
TimTam27

PS: I see in the kit there are four fuselage halves. What are the other two for?

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2012 - 08:54 AM UTC
There were three versions of the Fokker D.VII (OAW) we identify, early, mid & late. Which kit number do you have?

Stark's was a mid production OAW with cupped louvres on the side panels. Here is an Eduard kit review. This version has been issued two times with different box illustrations.

Pages 10. For the scheme of Ltn. Rudolf Stark Eduard provides a colour plan view of his final version. Note that the mauve/lilac chevron/band are not included by design. This gives the builder the chance to thoroughly use one type of their paint to match the whole scheme. If Eduard had given us the lilac band it’s a good bet the paint we used would not match their decals. The light blue rib tapes are typical for OAW machines. While Eduard was showing some forethought, consider that Stark’s D.4523/17 scheme was NOT completed in a short period of time. Having the Lilac painted locations not completely match, may be more accurate.

As to the wing modification this is intended to be made between the top wing halves at the leading edge.

The fuselage halves are for the mid or late production versions. The cupped lovres on the mid production are the pieces you need for Stark's machine.
TimTam27
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 222 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 03:27 AM UTC
Hello Stephen,

thank you for the speedy reply.

Quoted Text

There were three versions of the Fokker D.VII (OAW) we identify, early, mid & late. Which kit number do you have?

The kit is #8131. I actually don't have it yet, it is still on its way from Hong Kong.

Quoted Text

While Eduard was showing some forethought, consider that Stark’s D.4523/17 scheme was NOT completed in a short period of time. Having the Lilac painted locations not completely match, may be more accurate.

Thanks for that advice, I will alter the shades a bit on the different sections.

Quoted Text

As to the wing modification this is intended to be made between the top wing halves at the leading edge.

That seems straightforward enough. Also cheaper than buying a Roden kit just for the wing.

Quoted Text

The fuselage halves are for the mid or late production versions. The cupped louvres on the mid production are the pieces you need for Stark's machine.

That is good to hear, I can go ahead with Stark's aircraft then.

Finally, I read in your review when you were referring to the fourth scheme, that of an anonymous Jasta 58 aircraft that:

Quoted Text

Recent studies of Jasta 58 machines say that orange may be an alternative to the black area of the tail.

If the tail was indeed orange this would be a most colourful scheme. In your gut, do you think that the tail of this aircraft was actually orange?

Thank you very much for helping me out.

Regards,
TimTam27
 _GOTOTOP