_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Pfalz D.IIIa and 5 colour lozenge. Options?
TimTam27
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 222 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2012 - 04:27 AM UTC
Hi.

I have always thought that the 5 colour lozenge was very attractive so I would like to build a 1:48 scale fighter sporting the colourful fabric. I have read that some of the late series Pfalz D.IIIa types used the lozenge on the wings so it sounds like the Pfalz would be a good candidate for the build. I suppose the first thing I would need to know is, is the Eduard kit suitable for a late series aircraft?

If that first hurdle is overcome, are there any 1:48 Pfalz D.IIIa decal sheets currently available? I could only find 1:32 sheets.

Failing that, are there any schemes that could be achieved without the use of decals other than the national markings?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,
TimTam27
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2012 - 08:16 AM UTC
Greetings TimTam27

The first thing is the search. Try here.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2012 - 08:34 AM UTC
Now there were three versions of the D.IIIa we identify, early, mid & late.

Generally speaking the early types had angle tipped lower wings and the 180hp Mercedes. Blunt tipped cabane struts.

The mid graduated to rounded lower wing tips (larger area)and the 180hp Mercedes. Blunt tipped cabane struts.

The late had rounded lower wing tips (larger area) and the 180hp Mercedes. pointed tipped cabane struts.

Eduard noted these differences in their earliest issues of their kits.

8044 Pfalz D.IIIa (late version)
8045 Pfalz D.IIIa (Profipack)
8046 Pfalz D.IIIa (early version)

Strip lozenge in 1:48 scale can be found easily enough. Here is a review on Aeroscale. Just follow the links or use the search engine.
TimTam27
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 222 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 04:10 AM UTC
Hi Stephen,

thanks for the reply.

That's just the information I need to pick out the correct parts from the Eduard sprues for a late Pfalz.

Thanks also for the link to the Pfalz search. Unfortunately many of the images on the older posts don't show up.

I didn't think of using the Aeroscale search, I just did a standard Google whose results seemed to give nothing but WnW kits.

I am ordering some lozenge sheets from Microsculpt right now.

Thanks once again, your help has been much appreciated.

Regards,
TimTam27

_GOTOTOP