_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Questions about adhering paper to plastic
Wolf-Leader
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
AeroScale: 55 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2012 - 12:07 PM UTC
Ok,now that I have baffled you with my topic title,I will explain.
What I'm thinking of doing is this,since I do not have the stuff to make decals such as a printer and no print shop where I live will do it. I though of a suggestion to tell you guys. Is it possible/probable to take a logo,print it on paper,then cut the logo out and adhere it to plastic? Also,if so,with what would you adhere it,CA glue,rubber cement,or white glue? Then how would you seal it so it wouldn't come off or the ink bleed all over?like I said,I don't have the means to make decals. Can anyone help or have any suggestions?
Thank you

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2012 - 10:30 PM UTC
Hi Jody,
There is a method that turns a printed item into a decal (not printing your own). I saw it years ago, in Fine Scale Modeller I believe. I don't remember anymore than that and it was pre being able to print your own decals. Someone else may be able to fill in the details.

However to answer your question; If you were to glue a paper logo to a model it would look just like that, a paper logo glued to a model. If you want to give it a go don't use CA glue though as it will soak into the paper and make it like rigid plastic! I don't really know but I think that your best bet is to try a very thin application of white glue.

If you can print the logo why not print a decal, it's just as easy. You do need the decal paper but it's not too expensive and the fixative spray. One other thing though either use the white, if you can cut close to the design, or you will require a white background if you use clear decal paper.

Another solution is to get someone else to print the decal for you. I will happily do it but, at the moment all my gear is packed away (and will be for a few months) after my move. Alternatively, what about a paint mask?
Magpie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 653 posts
AeroScale: 165 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2012 - 10:56 PM UTC
I have had good success with using label paper (self adhesive) and an ink jet printer, however it really only works in the context of creating something like a sign that has been placed on the model, i.e. you can see clearly it doesn't conform with the surface like Mal says.

The self adhesive helps to hold it in place but I brush over some PVA as well. So long as it isn't too runny and the print is well dried the ink shouldn't (!) run.

Have a look here and judge for yourself, the "Eye of Vulcan" is a sticker.
http://www.coolminiornot.com/295396
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2012 - 11:08 PM UTC
I have tried it, Mal is right, the paper is so thick that it will look poor.
I didnt have "T" logos in N scale, so I cut some tiny ones out of paper.

I just tacked them on with paper glue, its possible that sealing them down with clear enamel might conceal the thickness somewhat.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 - 08:03 PM UTC
I am affraid that paper is much too thick to allow for any good result.

If the logo is easy enough, then I would suggest that you cut it out of masking tape and paint the logo on.

The alternative is to invest in decal material. I bought recently (but have not tried it yet) a few sheets of clear and white laser decal sheet and a little bottle of fixing fluid. It did cost me only +/- 15 euro all together and now I can make decals for the rest of my days

_GOTOTOP