_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
REVIEW
P-51 Wheels set (1:32)
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 624 posts
AeroScale: 609 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 - 02:06 AM UTC
Jean-Luc Formery the Signifer''s 1:32 scale resin P-51 wheels set, destined to any Mustang fitted with diamond shape pattern tires.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 - 02:37 AM UTC
I'll certainly be getting a set of these for my Tamiya P-51.

Dear Signifier, please can we have a set for the 1:32 P-47's?
The easiest available set in the UK, without having to pay $$$ for postage from the USA, is the Master Casters set which, while being a very nice set is only available with the undercarriage legs included.
Leaves those of us who just want wheels left with a dilema.

Nige
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
AeroScale: 1,198 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 - 01:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Not if you're smart, in which case you'll get this set designed for the Tamiya kit and accurate (something this set apparently isn't).

Singifier makes a great replacement set for the Trumpeter 262 jets, but this doesn't look like a winner to me, though thanks to Jean-Luc for doing the review!
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 - 07:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Not if you're smart, in which case you'll get this set designed for the Tamiya kit and accurate (something this set apparently isn't).

Singifier makes a great replacement set for the Trumpeter 262 jets, but this doesn't look like a winner to me, though thanks to Jean-Luc for doing the review!

Hi, Bill! Since I only posted the news, it would be benefitial, I think, that you share with us some of your concerns over rthe accuracy of this item. I am no expert here, but would certainly like to hear your perspective!

All the best,
Entoni
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 - 09:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi, Bill! Since I only posted the news, it would be benefitial, I think, that you share with us some of your concerns over rthe accuracy of this item. I am no expert here, but would certainly like to hear your perspective!

So would I, so I can make up my own mind as to if I'm "smart" or not

Nige
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 03:56 AM UTC
Hi, Gents,

I guess I've opened a can of worms here! LOL

The #1 reason for choosing the Grey Matter resin wheels for the Tamiya kit is (drum roll): They're tyres/tires and not replacements. So you get all the detailing and realism of slapping these babies on the excellent Tamiya wheels without having a 1-piece casting.

As to accuracy, I'm going on Jean-Luc's review, which raised that issue, so I'll defer to him.

Jerry Rutman, who designed and developed the masters for the GM tires, has researched the 'Stang forever, and based his measurements for his resin kit and his AM parts on research from a preserved bird in the Swiss Air Force Museum. I'll leave y'all to draw your own conclusions.

As the artillery guys would say, "rounds complete."
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 04:51 AM UTC
Bill,

Thanks for your answer. I'm no shooter, to be clear on that point However, it is my modest opinion that modelers in general, but especially those aware of certain issues and/or accuracy problems, will share them openly and with arguments. This should be done especially when expounding the argument that is not in line with other peoples perspectives. But this is only my best guess... Maybe the solution is to get Jean-Luc and you discuss this in detail Maybe the modelling community will benefit in the end.

All the best,
Entoni
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 04:59 AM UTC
Thanks Bill.
Your reply explains the difference in the two sets so much better than "If your smart you'll buy a set from this manufacturer".

They do a nice line in replacement props as well.

All the best,

Nige
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 05:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bill,... it is my modest opinion that modelers in general, but especially those aware of certain issues and/or accuracy problems, will share them openly and with arguments.... Maybe the solution is to get Jean-Luc and you discuss this in detail Maybe the modelling community will benefit in the end.

Entoni, I would be happy to see Jean-Luc weigh in here. He is much more of an expert on this than I am.

Quoted Text

Thanks Bill.
Your reply explains the difference in the two sets so much better than "If your smart you'll buy a set from this manufacturer".

Nige, you are correct. I was "flying" through life yesterday, and wanted to make sure the Grey Matter wheels were highlighted. I apologize if my brusk manner created offense. As I said, Signifier does a great replacement wheel set for the Trumpy 262 and I have it in my stash. It's just the Grey Matter set is overall superior for the Tamiya 'Stang IMO.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 - 02:21 AM UTC
Hi all,

Quoted Text

Entoni, I would be happy to see Jean-Luc weigh in here. He is much more of an expert on this than I am.

What? Huh, an expert? No, I'm a plastic model builder and certainly no expert of anything!

I haven't raised an accuracy problem in the review so I must confess I'm totally in the dark here.

Jean-Luc
 _GOTOTOP