_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Red Tails, nice, but some odd detals...
dommy20
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 133 posts
AeroScale: 94 posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 03:58 PM UTC
Ok, I know this may be a bag of worms, and I understand that accuracy and historical fact has to give way to story telling and drama. All that aside, I watched Red Tails, and I had fun with it. Honestly I don't know the details of the Tuskegee Airmen or their combat history, so I'm afraid to point fingers as to what may be real or not (head-on encounter between a P-51 and Me 262? I think the closing in time would be a lot shorter than was shown, among other things).

Anyhow, one thing that bugged me, on all the German planes, why was the "swazy" in a white circle? The 109s looks gorgeous, some great animation, so much better than looking at some other plane with a cross painted on it and calling it a 109. But my word, if you're going to do the research to get the plane looking right, why not do a quick internet search to see the proper markings???

Does anyone have any ideas on this? I'm assuming it's to make the swastika stick out more, so there's no doubt in the audience's mind that these are the bad guys. Personally I think it sticks out enough without any extra help.
stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 337 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 10:35 AM UTC
Artistic licence! Many of the markings are pure fantasy but then it's a film "based on" real events,not a documentary.
Steve
 _GOTOTOP