_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Question on Typhoon interior
Planenuts
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
AeroScale: 45 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2012 - 01:00 PM UTC
Was the tubular frame painted the same as the interior walls, i.e. black upper areas and interior green lower areas or was it all interior green, all black or natural aluminum, I have several resources but there seems to be no clear answer other than there were variances.

Thanks in advance chaps !
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2012 - 04:36 PM UTC
If there's no clear answer then pick something that makes you happy, thumb your nose at the Colour Police and dare them to prove you wrong.
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2012 - 06:52 PM UTC
It's one of those imponderables; the cockpit section, at Duxford, has silver-painted tubular members (also fairly common on the Hurricane,) while the complete airframe, in Hendon, has an all-black interior. Wartime photos, Pilot's Notes, and a model (which used to be) in the Imperial War Museum, also show silver tubes (and seat/footboards.) Remember, too, that the cockpit "walls" were actually removable access panels, so the interior could be almost anything. Just to confuse things, even more, "car door" types look as if they were green. Because of complaints about reflections, the Seafire 17 had the upper half of its cockpit black, with the lower half green, and there's no reason to believe that the same didn't happen with the bubble-canopy Typhoon (and the Tempest.) As Jessie says, go with what your insttincts tell you, and challenge the "experts" to prove you wrong (excellent advice given to me, years ago, by a Mustang expert.)
Edgar
Planenuts
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
AeroScale: 45 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 10:11 AM UTC
Thanks for the replys.

Jessica I agree with your philosophy but I'm anal enough to try all avenues to be correct. When in this case there is no clear choice I will follow your advice.

Edgar, thanks for your input on this it was most helpful !
 _GOTOTOP