_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Give me your best 3 kit builds.
Banditt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 27 posts
AeroScale: 19 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2012 - 08:59 AM UTC
Well im pretty new so this may have been had a few times but as the tittle says....... Give me your personal favourite, best, most enjoyable kit builds.

Upto now my pride and joy is my 1/48 Tamiya spitfire MK1. Boring ino but she is my first model that come out looking how i wanted.

In at number two is my Tamiya Messerschmitt BF 109. Amazing and easy build and my first model i got to paint a yellow nose on. Small things amuse small minds haha.

Last but not least is my new build which is the Eduard Focke Wulf FW190A-6. Why you as..... well, it was free ofF a friend that dint fancy the build, its got more parts than i ever seen before and mainly im enjoying it as its more technical than Tamiya kits i have built.

I am working on getting the pics up. I am no master modeler so whats amazing to me is probly average to you.haha.
mtnflyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 394 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2012 - 09:38 AM UTC
Actually, I've only ever completed three models.
All a result of the Campaign programs:

But, I do have a generous supply of 'Hanger Queens' lazing about in the closet. Maybe one day!!
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2012 - 10:12 AM UTC
Hi Matty, it's hard to select three of my favorite builds. As for someone being a Master Modeler, well, as to that all I can say is there is always a faster gun out there. No matter how quick you are so to speak, someone is quicker, so don't worry about it and have fun.

I randomly, sort of, picked three kits I really enjoyed building. I build pretty much exclusively in 1/72 scale as well, much to the chagrin of some! ha ha

Anyway, the first kit is the Revell of Germany P 194, if I remember right, an attack aircraft which was never built. Easy build and with Luftwaffe '46 aircraft you can let your imagination go with colors!!

Next is the Italeri Republic P-47N Thunderbolt. Although I made some changes, adding a propeller from another P-47D which was the paddle shaped one. It was a colorful although not completely well fitting kit as you can see by the wing joint.

Finally is the Kawasaki KI-45 "Nick", a kit by Hasegawa I believe. I used after market decals for it. Hope you enjoy looking at all. Any questions, feel free to ask. Russell
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2012 - 10:33 AM UTC
Not necessarily my 3 "best", but if I had to pick 3 favourites it would be these,, and for various reasons.

Academy 1:72 B-17.
384th BG Assembly Ship.

I wanted to do something a little different and have some fun at the same time.
Assembly ships of the 8th make fascinating subjects, and I have a B-24 in the stash waiting for the next time I have a rush of blood to the head.

Vintage Fighter Series 1:24th P-47.
Dave Schillings "Hairless Joe". 62nd FS 56th FG.

As soon as I saw the test build of this beast at Telford a couple of years before it was released I knew I wanted one!
1:24 scale could almost have been invented purely for this kit!
Overall it was an 18 month build from start to finish. Mostly due to working away from home for long periods at the time. No "shake n bake", but with some thought and lots of dry fitting it went together really well.
I've taken it to a few shows and really enjoy chatting to people about it.

Tamiya P-47M 1:48th.
Russ Kylers HV-J "Lorene"

Tamiya kit built OOB with a custom noseart decal.
The model is signed by Russ and photographed here with his dogtags draped over the horizontal stabiliser.
I've known Russ for a few years now and he has been an inspiration to me on so many levels.

Anyway,,,,that's my 3

Nige
ebergerud
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 297 posts
AeroScale: 76 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2012 - 11:03 AM UTC
First: Nigel, hats off on the B-17 and P-47M. Where on earth did the paint job for the 17 come from? I've got the Tamiya P-47M kit: I was thinking of doing it as a D in natural finish, but looking at yours makes me think maybe not. I think they let the Wolfpack get away with anything.

I do a plane, tank, ship cycle which probably means I'll never master any of them. So below is a Dragon "El Almein" Sherman with a bucket of dust; an Eduard FW1905 that had what I thought was an interesting camo; and the ICM 1/350 Konig which was a nightmare build, but ended up okay.

_GOTOTOP