_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Excellent Info on Zero Colors & Paint Mixing
ebergerud
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 297 posts
AeroScale: 76 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 03:44 PM UTC
I bought a pamphlet “Painting The Early Zero-Sen” (author Nicholas Millman) for 8 GBP. It's a 24 page PDF file but well worth it in my opinion. It covers in detail the controversy over the right color for early war Zeros - something IJNAF fans have been arguing about for twenty years. But what I really like is the approach. It's pretty technical and perhaps not everybody's cup of tea. Unlike something that would simply give your a color sample, it explains how the sample is arrived at, how it's measured (Munsell, FS, RGB) and how to alter various commercially available paint to get close to this very subtle color. And it's subtle. If you can figure out a way to get an amber/gray with a bit of green, I think you could create almost any color thrown your way. Standards are excellent, and each example has a color sample. Author is Nicholas Millman [email protected] . Ad for pamphlet can be found at a very interesting modelling blog called Aviation of Japan http://www.straggleresearch.com/.
mtnflyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 394 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 05:23 PM UTC
Good plug!
 _GOTOTOP