_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
So you wanna rig 1/72 do ya?
wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 - 12:38 PM UTC
Not to long ago I was feeling a bit warm. A little sweaty and shaky. It was either the flue of an attack of AMS. Why couldn’t it have been the flue. Sorry Stephen but I have to paraphrase you… here’s a bit of insanity!

I recently got my 1st spools of EZ-Line, 1 ea. of the heavy and fine, and was playing around with the stuff to see how I was going to like it. Because of the horrid state of my bench I got impatient looking for my scissors and snapped a piece off the spool. Because it stretches so darn far you have to pinch with 2 hands very close together and give is a sharp tug. When I did that I noticed how the end split.

Each of those splits can be pulled the length of the piece you have to make extremely fine fibers. I pulled the tiniest f the threads the length of a 1 foot piece as a test. However this stuff is made, and of what, I think I may have gotten to an individual "thread".

In this pic “A/B” is a hair and #80 bit for comparison. “C” is the heavy EZ-Line and “D” is the fine. The fine is said to be 0.15mm, (0.006"). “E” and “F “ are 2 of the frayed ends pulled of the heavy line from the top pic. It may take a couple of snaps but you can get down to G, both the same. And this is really fine. It retains the exact same stretching properties as the original piece off the spool.

The last 2 pics show the finest piece added to a 1/144 scale Platz N1K2 “Rex”. I had used some dark invisible sewing thread for the original aerial wire so I put the EZ-Line underneath for the comparison.

I think "F" would work very nicely on a 1/72 bipe.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2012 - 06:30 PM UTC
Paraphrase away Marc!
 _GOTOTOP