_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
next GB ?
modulla
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 72 posts
AeroScale: 71 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2012 - 12:51 AM UTC
When we discussed the nature of the current GB, some people were in favour of having builds starting on a rolling basis, at say three monthly-intervals.
If that were to happen, we could have topics rather than totally anything goes. We would still need a topic open enough to encourage a good volume of entries - how about -
NON-SYNCHRO ?

This would be any plane, 1903-1934, with no synchronised guns. It would include:-
Pushers - DH2, Gunbus, Voisin
Early A/c - Wright Flier, Bleriot
Deflector - MS Parasol and Bullet
Above wing - Nieuport 11, Hansa Brandenburg C1
Angled - Bristol C (Hawker), Nieuport 10 ( Kazhakov)
some OEF Albatri
Trainers - Lots of options, some v. colourful
Transports
Exploration
Racers
Advertising

So, plenty of choices, but taking us out of the rut.
What do people think ?

Modulla ( Clive Mason )
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2012 - 02:26 AM UTC
Clive,
As a relative new-comer to the Forum I've had an albeit brief glance back at the number and the subjects of past GBs, impressive to say the least. I joined just as KoTS I got underway and was surprised how much enjoyment, motivation, and sheer learning I got from being a participant. That being said I was puzzled by the small(er) response that KoTS II generated and I tend to agree that we might be in a "rut" of some sort. There were many good topics tabled prior to the Campaign getting underway; yours is yet another great suggestion and I'm glad you tabled the over riding question.
Whatever the topic I'd probably be on board, whatever keeps our group active and stimulates exchange of info, techniques, and healthy debate works for me and I suspect most of our members feel the same. To have more but narrower topics running at shorter intervals might work; I suspect our Moderator was thinking along those lines of "something slightly different" when he set up KoTSII with the figures injected into the equation in some cases. IMHO more specific or restrictive categories will naturally reduce the number of participants however if there is a variety of choice generated by shorter run and greater numbers of campaigns that might well provide the answer.
If you've got this far in reading this Thanks for tolerating the morning coffee musings of an old F..t who is "just happy to be here" in the company of others of like minds and interests.
I'll be following closely to keep up with (hopefully) the responses you get to this query and I hope we come to some great revalation soon; August and the the end of KoTS II isn't really that far off......
Cheers,
Lance
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2012 - 02:41 AM UTC
I'll go you one further and suggest NO GUNS...but your restriction is already of great interest.

I have a Fokker F.VII trimotor kit Id like to build, so I'll be there.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2012 - 03:02 AM UTC
I like it.
 _GOTOTOP